Advice on Living in Hitchin

(3 Posts)
bearclawwarrior Tue 16-Aug-11 01:02:14

Hello, we are considering moving to Hitchin and eyeing a property on Old Hale Way. From what I've seen and heard, Hitchin seems to be a lovely town! Although I know there are some "dodgy" areas best avoided. Can anyone give me advice on what areas these are? I heard Angels Reply area, Oughton and Westmill estate aren't the best. Old Hale Way is quite close to them, and I was wondering if anyone can give me more info about it.

Also. I have a daughter meant to start school in Sept and we hope to get her in a good one. There is a Catholic school near Old Hale Way which has a good Ofsted report, but unsure if it could be oversubscribed?

I would appreciate any thoughts! Thanks so much!

lavenderfields Thu 18-Aug-11 23:11:41

Hi bearclawwarrior, i'm not in Hitchin but am in the next town smile I have a friend that lives very close to Old Hale Way, that area is fine. There is a nice take away called Rice and Noodles at the end of Brampton Park Road ( Bearton Road). You can walk into town quite quickly from there too and the swimming pool is very easy to walk to aswell. smile

Colliherts Mon 29-Aug-11 22:07:37

Hi, Its nice houses and a nice road.

You will only get into the Catholic School if you are Catholic and live close as yes it is oversubscribed. Ring the school and check if they think you would get in from that road. Otherwise look at Strathmore (infant) and Wilshere Dacre ( junior) ofsted reports and check you are happy with those schools. Or Highover is a possiblity as well from there. If not happy with those schools - look to buy elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now