Good opticians and NHS dentists for kids in st albans/fleetville/marshalswick?

(8 Posts)
AbiH Tue 12-Jul-11 20:29:10

We've just moved into the area and I was looking for a good nhs dentist and optician for kids. Any suggestions would be great.

(Also any recommendations for good pubs/gastropubs for me would be good too!?)

Thanks.

EvieB Tue 12-Jul-11 20:33:37

Roopers on George St (by the cathedral) is really good for kids, Mr Rooper is great with my daughter and always fixes little things for free!

You'll be lucky to find an NHS dentist who will take just the children ... in the end I had to sign myself and DH up privately to get them to take the DC on the NHS (Oasis on Townsend Drive), and even then it was a bit of a struggle. Mr Patel there is great.

edoli Wed 13-Jul-11 19:42:59

Leightons opticians on the high street are very good with kids.
Re dentists- we use the dental centre on Hatfield Road, and they are NHS.They've been fine for us. Good GP next door as well.

BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 13-Jul-11 19:54:45

Lovely pub for food: the hare & hounds on sopwell lane

We use the maltings dentist in town and very happy with it

QueenofHerts Mon 18-Jul-11 16:46:33

St Albans Dental Centre on Hatfield Road (near the Crown pub) is NHS. It may not look glam but we've had v good service from there. Ask to be put on patient list of Dr Said - he is absolutely brilliant with kids and a lovely man.

pawsnclaws Tue 19-Jul-11 16:35:00

We're with the Maltings dentist and have found them great - unlike the private dentist we used before (Grange Street) - not a pleasant experience.

manicmum11 Sat 30-Jul-11 14:14:47

Just posted this on another thread but thought it might be useful here! I'd recommend Paul Adler Opticians - my son was referred to him by our GP, who said he knew so much more than other opticians (and that his wife is a paediatrician). He knows a lot about special needs - always a good sign. Easy, free parking and not far from Waitrose! Worth travelling within Hertfordshire for. They also do vision therapy - see http://www.eyezone.co.uk/

PaulaMummyKnowsBest Fri 05-Aug-11 22:18:25

I had an awful experience at the malting dentist surgery. They were awful with my children an we now us the dentists in new greens. Idy (like Heidy but without the H) is the kindest, most gentle dentist I have come across and she is fantastic with my 3 children. She was recommended to us (after our awful experience at maltings) and we have recommended her to several others since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now