Music exams

(1 Post)
StephFordMusic Thu 08-Jan-15 02:34:07

Hi there mums (and dads) of Harrow,
My name is Ellie and I run a music school in Edgware.

There seems to be some confusion regarding the education process when it comes to private music lessons. Some teachers are charging the going rate (in Harrow its about £35-40, but I've heard of some charging £60!) but are they providing the necessary service and giving the advice expected from a teacher? Are they insured? Have they got a DBS check?

Less and less children being put forward for music aptitude testing for 7+, 11+, 16+ entrance exams as part of their submission. Also with cuts to the Arts funding by the government, the quality of teaching music in schools has suffered dramatically with some lessons in certain instrument stopping all together. Children are unable to read/write/translate music and as a result are losing confidence and are losing interest. Our children are the future of music! Imagine watching a film with no music?

Are you thinking about starting private music lessons but do not know where to start? Should your child even bother with music?! You've probably heard the rumour that musicians are smarter than non-musicians but is this true? If so, how and why? See how music affects the brain: www.stephfordmusic.com/music--biology.

So many questions go unanswered but I'm here to help and if you have any questions about anything mentioned above or music lessons for 6+year olds, ABRSM grading, entrance exams, advice for looking for teachers... Anything; please get in touch. Some FAQs are answered on our site: www.stephfordmusic.com/faqs and you will also find our contact details there.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now