Harringay primary schools recommendations

(10 Posts)
BsshBossh Thu 11-Aug-11 20:48:03

Hello, I've read the OFSTED reports for the following primary schools as DD is due to enter reception in Sept 2012 but was wondering if any Mumsnetters here have any personal thoughts / experiences (good, bad) of them that they could share with me:

St John Vianney RC (we're Catholic)
St Mary Priory RC on Hermitage Road
Chesnuts
North Harringay
South Harringay

Much appreciated, thanks.

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Thu 01-Sep-11 15:36:46

Hi - I'm also in the same position as you, applying for DD for 2012 reception, also catholic. I'm not applying to N. Harringay as I know a couple of parents who have had to move their kids from there, am putting South Harringay as first choice (we're spitting distance from it an it's a good school from what I've heard from others) as well as St John Vianney and some just over the tracks (St Peter in Chains for example). Think St Mary's is just that little bit too far away. Lots of luck.

BsshBossh Tue 06-Sep-11 15:59:44

Hi Cuppa, thanks for responding. Can you share the reasons why the parents you know took their DC out of North Harringay?

South Harringay and John Vianney are both highly rated so they're in our top 2 (we're in catchment for both) also Chesnuts. Good luck to you smile

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Wed 07-Sep-11 16:08:57

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I'll be seeing them at a WI meeting (yes, I know) next week so will ask

BsshBossh Wed 07-Sep-11 17:14:24

Thank you! By the way, I've been tempted by WI meetings so don't worry grin.

BBL1 Fri 09-Sep-11 11:45:22

My son finished in St John Vianney in June. He had a very happy 7 years there. I am so glad that I choose SJV. Parents, staff and children all seem to work together and provide a very family atmosphere. The Principal is wonderful.

Last week my DS received a prayer note from the Principal with a personal message wishing him every success for secondary school. I was very touched

BsshBossh Fri 09-Sep-11 15:49:24

Oh BBL1 you must be so happy and proud. SJV is our first choice as we live one minute away, my DD was baptised in the Church, I attend weekl and she's going to the SJV nursery in two weeks. Would be lovely if she could get into the school most local to us but I know it's heavily over-subscribed so I'm not holding my breath. Fortunately there are a few more good schools here so...

yellowsubmarine41 Fri 09-Sep-11 22:37:32

Is regular mass attendance and having your children in Sunday School necessary to get into SJV?

BsshBossh Sun 11-Sep-11 20:39:00

Regular Church attendance is one of the criteria, yes, but not Sunday School attendance (which is from 6 yo onwards).

BBL1 Mon 03-Oct-11 11:30:08

As far as I know there is no Sunday School in West Green parish, but regular attendance is a must. Work in the parish probably does not go unoticed either.

There will be classes for Holy Communion and Reconcilation, but that's a few years down the line.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now