Primary schools

(9 Posts)
Mia5678 Fri 10-Feb-17 18:23:55

Hello,

We currently live in Hampshire and we are looking at primary schools in Chandlers Ford/Romsey areas. Our DD is only 1.5 at the moment but we are looking to buy a bigger house and want to be within a catchment area of at least one good primary schools. Does anyone have any personal experience of any of the primary schools within the Romsey/Chandlers Ford and surrounding areas?

We don't know anyone who has a child of primary school age and so any insight would help.

TIA

lawtoc Fri 10-Feb-17 22:14:12

Our experience of Wellow primary in West Wellow has been excellent. I've also heard v good feedback about Halterworth in Romsey. Wellow & Romsey are great places to love!

Jenda Fri 10-Feb-17 22:18:32

I only have experience of Hiltingbury Junior School which is really lovely and feeds into the excellent Thornden. Merdon is also a good school, to be honest most round here are. Chandlers Ford is great, but i am biased 😃 Have friends with kids at romsey abbey which they rave about.

lawtoc Fri 10-Feb-17 22:19:08

Our experience of Wellow primary in West Wellow has been excellent. I've also heard v good feedback about Halterworth in Romsey. Wellow & Romsey are great places to love!

SailingWidow Sat 11-Feb-17 16:37:37

All the primaries in Romsey are good (as are the 2 secondarys Romsey & Mountbatten).

Romsey Primary may still have lower reputation but is on the up with excellent head teacher who has now been in place ?3 years and made great strides forward. It is currently single form entry but the plan is for it to start taking 2 classes from Sept 18 (filling up from the bottom I believe) due to extra demand for places in the area. Has its own attached nursery unit.

Cupernham Infants/Juniors have good reputation, now 3 form entry. parents I know very happy.

Romsey Abbey Primary had a dip but I believe has recovered. Single form entry. Close links with the Abbey. Single form entry.

Halterworth probably has highest academic reputation, but maybe a bit pushy? 2 form entry.

If you go for Chandlers Ford make sure you are well in catchment for Thornden (one of?) the top performing secondary schools in county.

If you go for Romsey happy to give you any other input.

user1470547459 Sat 11-Feb-17 22:57:17

Thank you for all the replies.

The other area we are also considering is North Baddesley, anyone have any experiences of the primary there?

Overall, would appear the schools in Romsey/Chandlers Ford are very good.

Mia5678 Sat 11-Feb-17 22:59:04

Thank you for all the replies.

The other area we are also considering is North Baddesley, anyone have any experiences of the primary there?

Overall, would appear the schools in Romsey/Chandlers Ford are very good.

lawtoc Sun 12-Feb-17 07:23:20

I'm not sure about the primary school in north baddesley but as an area it is mixed - some lovely parts & others less so. To be fair wherever you go there is a mix but it's a bit more obvious in North Baddesley than in Romsey.

CookieMueller Thu 16-Feb-17 10:34:03

Hiltingbury is excellent. People have personal preferences obviously but go and have a look round and I bet you'll find something you like. You can't go far wrong in Chandlers Ford. Be cautious though with property as I've heard if estate agents exaggerating catchments etc. The schools in CF are pretty much all oversubscribed, last year even some catchment children didn't get into Year R at Hiltingbury (anyone over 0.5 of a mile away without siblings didn't get in , I gather). There are also parents ferrying children to different schools etc as they didn't get places for siblings. If you decide you want a certain school then check the catchment and buy/rent as close as possible to the school.

It's probably worth adding that I don't think it's oversubscribed for nothing, the school is fantastic and a genuinely happy place where children achieve.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now