train stations where you can get a seat in the morning

(6 Posts)
hg1970 Fri 04-Dec-15 09:30:53

Hi there

I work in London but am thinking of moving out of the city and commuting. I was considering Hampshire, but if I'm going to commute I want to be able to get a seat on the train. I generally leave between 7.30 and 8.30 in the morning. Can any commuters give me some advice on stations where it's possible to get a seat in the morning rushhour (and are nice places to live)? Any tips much appreciated. Thank you!

scat0494 Mon 14-Dec-15 14:58:04

Hi There,

I live in Aldershot and can definitely say that you will always get a seat from Aldershot, Farnham, Bently or Alton. Ash Vale is probably OK too, but you have to get in the train and walk towards the back to get a seat (Ash Vale station only has enough platform space for 8 carriages and the rush hour trains are 12 carriages). I think Fleet is OK too. From memory Farnborough can be iffy.

In terms of place, Aldershot has some lovely period properties and you can get a lot of house for your money. However, the town centre is very run down. That being said, the facilities here are great and we are very close to Farnham and Guildford for nice shopping. If you want v.nice you will need to look at Farnham.

Hope that helps.

Itsmeorthedog Wed 30-Dec-15 22:12:03

Hi, Petersfield is lovely and probably the last (fast running) station to Waterloo you can get a seat on the train. Liss and Liphook great too but they're on the slower train service (although you can change onto the fast service at Haslemere but won't always get a seat).

hg1970 Thu 31-Dec-15 14:32:27

Thanks both for your very helpful posts

hotfuzzra Thu 31-Dec-15 14:36:48

We're near Fleet which DH uses, he doesn't always get a seat on trains departing around 0730.
Farnborough is normally standing room only from there on in. Hth

hg1970 Thu 31-Dec-15 16:14:15

Thanks hotfuzzra

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now