Thornden vs Kings

(5 Posts)
pupsiecola Tue 09-Dec-14 16:12:15

DS started in year 7 in September but hasn't had a great start. He wants to move schools :-( Obviously this is a big step.

I wondered if anyone has a view on comparisons between the two schools please? Have called the admissions office but no-one there until tomorrow so I have left a message - no idea if there is even a space.

SailingWidow Thu 11-Dec-14 14:02:54

If you PM TalkinPeace she'll probably have lots of views.

Kings streams very obviously. For that reason alone I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

You do need to work out why he hasn't had a great start, and whether a school move would actually improve things. Lots of Y7s struggle to find their feet initially. Unless you really think the ethos of current school doesn't work or there has been massive bullying, then would it not be worth pushing through?

Westgate and HenryB are also very good from what I hear (I know people with kids in all 3 Winchester schools). They all seem to have a different ethos.

I'd be surprised if there are any spaces at Thornden.

2 good secondaries in Romsey too.

pupsiecola Fri 12-Dec-14 09:29:18

Thanks for the reply. We have had a very emotional but productive week. He has been being bullied and has been reacting to it so has been getting into a little trouble whilst the bullies have been below the radar. This has all come out this last week. The school have been very supportive and he is now going to see the deputy whenever it happens. Like yesterday. Am so proud of him. One of the boys involved will have a day of suspension next week for yesterday's incident.

SailingWidow Fri 12-Dec-14 10:35:33

I'm so glad you have found the cause of the problem and the school seem to be dealing with it. If your son can get through it without needing to change schools then it should give him confidence going forward.

Bullying can happen anywhere - it's how the school deals with it that counts.

Talkinpeace Thu 18-Dec-14 21:30:23

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now