Andover..

(7 Posts)
ScandinavianMummy Mon 02-Sep-13 12:43:36

Anyone who lives in or near Andover? How is it? Where is it good to live? Any good nurseries and schools?

What do we need to know about Andover before we make the decision about whether to move there or not??

wonderstuff Mon 02-Sep-13 15:39:11

There are lots of lovely villages around Andover, I think Andover schools are fairly so-so. Andover itself is alright, pretty good value house price wise..
I live between Andover and Basingstoke and must admit I know Basingstoke better. What's prompts the move, where abouts are you looking?

ScandinavianMummy Mon 16-Sep-13 07:40:23

We are looking to move to the South West, and there is a vacancy in Andover that I will be applying for..

Can you recommend some villages around Andover?

What is Basingstoke like then? Nicer than Andover?

wonderstuff Mon 16-Sep-13 20:34:10

Basingstoke is bigger than Andover, and has more going on, decent range of shops, nice theatre, your usual chain restaurants.. Some lovely primary schools, secondaries pretty mediocre. Just under an hour by train to central London.

I live in a village between Andover and Basingstoke which is very lovely and has an outstanding primary feeding to an outstanding secondary (Testbourne in Whitchurch) I'm in Overton and we're 20 mins from Basingstoke, half hour from Andover and about 40 mins from Winchester. Houses here are significantly more expensive than Andover I think. St Mary Bourne is a nice village commuting distance from Andover, bit too rural for me but they have a nice school. Kingsclere is a very pretty little town not too far out as well.

Don't know what's west of Andover, but it does seem that the further from London you go the more you get for your money.

I do love the countryside around here, it's dead pretty.

IamMrsElf Fri 20-Sep-13 17:24:24

I live in Andover. It has it's faults it needs more development, which has been promised with the coming of 2 new major building developments. So it is very much an up and coming town but still has some issues. There are definitely areas to avoid and I would be happy to give you an idea of the best places to look.

Andover is pretty much in the middle between Basingstoke, Winchester, Newbury, Salisbury and Marlborough so there are plenty of good shopping and restaurant locations. There are beautiful villages around Andover so if you don't fancy the town there are other locations to try.

There are 2 "outstanding" primary schools in Andover but there are also many on the outskirts.

Try Whitchurch, Kingsclere, The Clatfords, Wherwell, Highclere, Enham Alamein, Headley and Stockbridge.

IamMrsElf Fri 20-Sep-13 17:31:56

Andover is an army town. Some people find this off putting. I don't find it to be an issue - we don't live in a Jane Austen novel where the squaddies come through the town boozing and fighting and breaking Miss Bennet's heart!

There are 2 huge sites where houses are being built, along with new medical centres, shops, primary schools and secondary schools.

It has a traditional centre which has a market. There are shops and restaurants, but it is a mixed bag, some good and some a bit iffy.

There is a leisure centre, cinema, theatre, great parks and lakes (plenty of walking).

It really does depend what you are looking for from a place to live.

There are some lovely nurseries and pre schools. If you want more information just ask.

dawncg Sat 22-Feb-14 19:41:24

Hi there
Also thinking about moving to the area. Can anyone recommend a good nursery in a nice area of Andover? And which areas are in the catchment for the 'outstanding' primary schools? Is it easy for Mums to meet other Mums?
Thanks everybody : -)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now