Winchester Hat Fair on Sunday - is it worth going along?

(9 Posts)
hmc Fri 01-Jul-11 20:42:16

I live half an hour away and wouldn't drive in because I hear the roads are nightmarish - instead we would catch the train. I believe the events on Sunday are concentrated around Oram's Arbour. I know it will be busy but will it be an unbelievably oppressively busy where you are jockeying for position to see what is going on? - or is it worth a punt?

hmc Fri 01-Jul-11 20:51:56

Sexonlegs Fri 01-Jul-11 20:59:22

Hi there. We have been a couple of times. If the weather is good, I expect it will be pretty packed.

hmc Fri 01-Jul-11 22:52:53

Ok thanks sexonlegs - when it is packed does that impair the enjoyment factor or is it still a good day out?

hmc Sat 02-Jul-11 13:00:38

hmc Sat 02-Jul-11 17:02:21

final bump

hugglymugly Sat 02-Jul-11 20:21:25

Presumably you've gone or not gone. I didn't venture in but my DH did and reported that it was packed, so might be one of the best Hat Fairs ever. Lots of stalls including food all the way from the Broadway through to Market Street.

One thing he mentioned was that when he went into the Cathedral grounds from Market Street there was a crazy golf course, which he was tempted by but there was a long queue. He perambulated a bit further into the Cathedral grounds and noticed three young women who were dressed alike and he presumed they were part of an act. Then he heard the sounds of horsebeats and saw a horse and carriage, and like most people he assumed this was also an act. Seemingly everyone else did also, given the applause. Apparently this was an actual posh Cathedral wedding, but with an embarrassed bride and a father-of-the-bride looking very pissed off. Ooops.

hmc Mon 04-Jul-11 10:39:02

Huggly - I didn't go in the end - I get ratty when its too crowded and dh wasn't able to come as he was away all day. Plan to give it a try next year when dh can join me and the children, and he can soothe me when I get all flustered about the crowds and the crush!

lhd Tue 02-Aug-11 12:55:18

We went - it was busy but fun. We had a group of about 10 adults and 5 babies but we still found a little spot in the shade for a nice picnic and we could amble around the arbour at our leisure.
The weather was great so all in all a lovely day. Would definitely recommend it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now