Hackney Nurseries

(6 Posts)
Miffykins123 Mon 20-Jul-15 13:38:16

Hello
I am 8 and a half months pregnant with my first child. Sadly I will need to return to work a year after she is born.
Can anyone recommend any of the Hackney nurseries? or would consider a child minder share in many moons time?

Thanks!!!!!

SanjWaran Tue 21-Jul-15 09:18:25

Hi,

My wife and I recently moved to Lower Clapton and we will be expecting our first child in November. Although not a priority, I have been doing some minor investigation re Nurseries / Day Care Centres in the local Hackney area. This is partly because from some recent conversations and articles I've read - in some parts of London, parents register for admission whilst they are still expecting!

Keeping in mind I live in Hackney, I would appreciate any support feedback on the following:

- When is the optimal time to register your child (i.e. number of months / years before the child starts)?

- Are there any recommended places in the Lower Clapton area?

- Apart from Ofsted ratings, what should a parent consider when choosing a place?

- How can I request visit to a place to meet with staff and visit the premise?

As you can tell, I am very new to this and am hoping to be prepared as much as possible. Any feedback welcome and thanks in advance.

SweetPotatoPie Fri 31-Jul-15 11:45:52

all depends where you are Miffykins.

I would say to put your child's name down as soon as they are born to your nearest children's centre nurseries. These are the council run ones and will be WAY ore affordable than private nurseries. You are not required to accept the places if you are offered them, and can put their name down for more than one, but at least this way you will have a place. Most of the Sure Start / children's centra nurseries in Hackney seem very good to me. They tend to have better premises and facilities than the private ones. I didn't put my daughters name down for one til she was 8 months old and I was too late and was never offered a place and ended up using a private nursery which was excellent but twice as expensive and had to pay a deposit etc.

You can then visit with your baby as most of them do all kinds if baby classes, music classes, baby massage etc, and get a feel for them and decide which ones you like.

There's a list of them here:

www.learningtrust.co.uk/ChildcarePlay/Pages/Children%27sCentresandNurseries.aspx

DangerRabbit Fri 31-Jul-15 22:45:26

I would put your name down when pregnant
We put our name down few weeks after birth and were told the waiting list was too long for the good ones ( the children centres )

DangerRabbit Fri 31-Jul-15 22:47:23

Maybe look outside the borough near your work - that's what we should do....but I never seem to have the time!

SanjWaran Mon 03-Aug-15 10:57:37

Thanks people for your helpful suggestions. Indeed Children's Centres seem to be more affordable and slightly better graded. Have contacted a few and awaiting their feedback.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now