Best place to live in Greenwich?

(15 Posts)
Walnut8 Wed 22-Jul-09 12:49:22

Hi

Im moving to Greenwich soon and am trying to find an apartment for myself and my husband who is working in Canary Wharf. Can anyone tell me - is it best to live close to the town centre of Greenwich? Or is the millennium village a nice place to live? I am pregnant with first baby and would like to be close to amenities and my husband wants to be able to get to work quickly! Thanks.

MrsFogi Wed 22-Jul-09 17:40:36

I'd vote for the centre or West of Greenwich to have easy access to Cutty Sark or Greenwich DLR stations to get to work in CW on the DLR and have the option of walking under the footbridge (until it closes prior to the olympics). Plus, there is a very large community of women with babies.

MrsFogi Wed 22-Jul-09 17:41:00

I should add, Greenwich is fantastic!

Walnut8 Thu 23-Jul-09 08:43:39

Thanks MrsFogi. We have looked at an apartment near the North Greenwich tube station. Do you know whether this is a nice/safe area or should we stick to areas around the DLR line? We originally wanted to live somewhere very near the park but there doesn't seem to be much on offer at the moment.

monkeysmama Thu 23-Jul-09 08:46:35

East Greenwich is nice too! One of the best schools in the borough is Halstow & the surrounding roads & houses are lovely with a little hidden gem of a park (& cafe) in the middle. Lots of mums here too & centre is 10-15 minutes walk & north Greenwich station (1 stop to canary wharf) a 4 minute bus ride or 12 minute walk. I am not a fan of the millennium village but I prefer older houses. There's a real, almost old fashioned sense of community here.

monkeysmama Thu 23-Jul-09 08:48:05

Crossed posts! Where was it near to tube? Mil village?are you looking to buy or rent?

monkeysmama Thu 23-Jul-09 08:48:06

Crossed posts! Where was it near to tube? Mil village?are you looking to buy or rent?

monkeysmama Thu 23-Jul-09 08:53:37

Walnut8 you can email me if you like at monkeysmama@rocketmail.com & I'll be more specific about the areas / roads I mean.

NorkyButNice Thu 23-Jul-09 09:09:07

How much are you looking to spend? We're about to tell our landlord we're leaving our 2 bed townhouse in West Greenwich (5 to 10 minute stroll to the park) but it's not the cheapest. Our lease runs out on 12th September!

NorkyButNice Thu 23-Jul-09 09:10:22

I should have said - we're 5 minute walk to the DLR (I also commuted into the Wharf and could go door to door in 20 minutes if I timed it right).

Walnut8 Thu 23-Jul-09 09:43:08

Hi everyone. The apartment was in the millenium village. I don't mind new places as they seem to be less maintenance than some of the older rentals. We're just looking to rent at this stage. And we need to find something by mid August at the latest as we have already given notice!!! Sigh. I've been told not to live too close to the edges as some parts are dodgy so I thought the northern peninsula looked sort of in the middle? (with the bonus of it being just one tube stop to CW) A twelve min walk to the tube station doesn't sound too bad either though. Am i right in thinking that most of greenwich is within walking distance of a DLR and tube? We don't have a car. Thanks everyone.

Walnut8 Thu 23-Jul-09 09:52:27

I should add - im happy with older places/areas too! Also ... i have been looking at a new development on Tarves Way i think which is sort of near the foot tunnel. I havent viewed anything there yet though. Is anyone familiar with this new building/area? Thanks so much everyone

Madsometimes Sat 25-Jul-09 16:01:38

The millenium village is great for commuting couples and would be OK with a non-mobile baby. I know of someone who found it a nightmare with mobile toddlers. Her appartment had a balcony which she did not feel was safe. Also, the millenium village does not have a great deal of character, both in terms of architecture and shops and restaurants. It is a very long walk from the millenium village to west or east greenwich, but there are plenty of buses. If you are thinking of renting for a short period, then you will be OK, but I doubt that you will stay there for long.

West Greenwich is close to the DLR and the historic sites and park. It tends to be a much more expensive place to live.

East Greenwich is very popular with families. It is not as convenient for commuting, with a walk to the DLR or a bus to the Jubilee line. There is also main line rail, which goes to the city and west end.

Walnut8 Mon 27-Jul-09 10:53:26

Thanks Mad

We saw another place in the millennium village. I think we've agreed it will be a last resort. It does seem very ... quiet/empty ... or something.

So now we are concentrating on West Greenwich near the DLR. It seems to be quite near new cross though which i was told to stay away from as it is a bit dodgy. Is this right?

Powdoc Mon 27-Jul-09 11:08:19

Walnut - where do you live at the moment? If you've never been a Londoner, the thing to understand is that nice places and not so nice places are very squished together - sometimes by as little as a couple of roads. West Greenwich isn't particularly near New Cross though - I would say it's near Deptford and Lewisham.

MV is ok, but as others have said, a bit lacking in soul. There are no real amenities there and you're a reasonably substantial walk from Greenwich centre (although there is a bus).

Fundamentally, it will come down to budget. You will get a lot more for your money in East Greenwich rather than West. I would also actually prefer to commute from East Greenwich to CW. As others have said, it's a bus down to the Jubilee line. However, the DLR can be mighty, mighty slow. Once you are on the tube it's only one stop, so although you might spend a while getting to the station, you hardly spend any on the tube.

East Greenwich is within walking distance of the tube if you're in the smaller houses off Trafalgar Road (Whitworth, Pelton, etc - have a look on Google maps) or down Blackwall Lane (Azof, etc). About 20 minutes at a fast walking pace. Bit harder if you're further up the hill in the larger houses. West Greenwich isn't walking distance to the tube IMO. It's about 15/20 minutes more, depending on where you are coming from. However, West Greenwich is much closer to the DLR. If you are looking about transport in and out of town (not just to CW), also bear in mind that East and West Greenwich both have train stations (Greenwich, then Maze Hill and Westcombe Park for the east.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now