Anybody from Stroud?

(85 Posts)
emwhight Wed 21-Apr-10 13:58:20

We moved to Stroud (Chalford) early December and still not managed to form a social network around the area. I have a 2 year old daughter who loves the company of other children, and now the summer has come we'd love to get out and about. Meet-ups in parks? Play areas? We're not fussy and happy to try anything new.
Please get in touch if you're in a similar situation, or fancy taking us on as a charity case!

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 19-Sep-12 19:21:28

mariet28 - please check your email; you should have received an email from us explaining your previous deletions.

Thanks
MNHQ

pookamoo Wed 19-Sep-12 18:06:11

Hi Mariet28 I'm pretty sure your thread was deleted because it looks like you might have been advertising? Even if that wasn't your intention.

jemetc Tue 04-Sep-12 23:05:04

Hi there, I also am moving near Stroud and read the great tips about schools and locations (but still working out on where to live!). Emma, our family (2 sons of 5 and 7) will leave France for a new start in green Gloucestershire and would be glad to know about your experience. Maybe once there we could meet...

mariet28 Tue 21-Aug-12 10:43:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

mariet28 Tue 21-Aug-12 10:20:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

emmag26 Mon 20-Aug-12 10:01:20

Hi, my name is Emma, I mooved to Stroud from France last year, and I haven't had much chances to meet other mums. I live in Stroud too, and my son is 2 years old. He loves playing with other kids but he doesn't get the opportunities that often. I am looking to meet some mums in Stroud to have some play time for my son, and some friendly chats for me!! If anyone is looking for that too, let me know!!

mellymooks Wed 25-Apr-12 08:13:46

Hi, I am hoping someone can tell me positive things about Cashes Green Primary School, we have just found out we've missed out on our top two choices and have been offered CG. I know CG is considered to be a more 'deprived' area of Stroud but the school itself seems to be thriving with a fantastic Ofsted report and score and aggragate scores only slightly behind Rodborough and Gastrells. I really liked the school when we looked around, but my partner is more concerned about the location, but I am not convinced this is really going to be an issue - any knowledge/experiences please?!

freyab Wed 18-Apr-12 22:15:37

Hi
I moved to the Stroud area a few months ago and would like to meet some local mums and toddlers. My daughter is 3 years and 5 months and is very sociable and would love to make some friends to play with. She is at nursery Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Chickpoo Sat 14-Apr-12 21:03:20

Hello! Posted something this time last year...teething and viruses are very time consuming !! Only now do I get to look on it again and try and sort something out, to meet some other parents and children. So, my son is 3 yrs and 9 months and my daughter is 13 months. My son attends nursery Monday - Wednesday and my daughter attends Monday and Tuesday. So does anyone fancy meeting up for some play dates? We live in Rodborough Common. Look forward to hearing from you.

terri71 Wed 07-Dec-11 19:00:42

Hi I have just moved near Stroud I have a 17 month daughter and am struggling meeting other mums any help would be great

sloppysoupdragon Sun 02-Oct-11 14:40:02

Yes just! thanks for that. Come the snow well be there! \

Greenshadow Sat 01-Oct-11 22:47:59

Not aware of any issues with conkers from diseased trees. Can't see there'd be a problem.

Have you discovered the play area by the Community Hall on Butterow West? Also has a big pitch to run around on and basketball court. Plus it's good for toboggans when it snows.

sloppysoupdragon Fri 30-Sep-11 11:02:24

Does that mean that we can't use the conkers then if the trees got that disease? Just thought my brothers an arborculturist *( think thats the right spelling ) so I;d better ask coz it may be OK but if the children start using the conkers from the felled tree and its not OK then that wouldnt be helpful. Are there other cunningly hidden play areas around here? we just discovered it by accident one day!

Greenshadow Wed 28-Sep-11 20:07:22

Ahhh, funny you should mention the large trees - I help manage the playground (and others in Rodborough) and unfortunately one of the large horse chestnuts is having to come down in a week or two - got that horse chestnut disease that is going around.
We're expecting some adverse comments from the public about removing it, but has to be done.
To be honest, the big trees are a bit of a pain as they mean the sun doesn't get in much and the play surface gets really slippery.
But, yes, it's a lovely play area. Glad to hear it's appreciated.

sloppysoupdragon Tue 27-Sep-11 11:16:18

Hi Greenshadow,

Thanks for the tip about Rugby club. I think DD would probably not like being the only girl, so thats good to know in advance. Just seen the supper club site and I'm drooling already ( Im a bit late for the 24 September tho. Will put my name down for the next one I think. Thanks for the tip, it sounds great fun. The little park at the top of Walkeley Hill is the one I meant - yes what fab large trees - a very good calming space I think. Rodborough is so nice. I'm wild about the common - we saw millions of cowslips carpeting the place over the summer - never seen that before. You are lucky living on the common. we are desperate to explore it more. I just need a bigger bike for DS and off we go. ( am looking on freecycle but there are plenty of other wanted ads for bikes so may have to actually buy him one bless him ... )

Greenshadow Sat 24-Sep-11 22:36:00

hi Sloppy.
My DS3 used to go to Minch rugby and I'll be honest, but there were very, very few girls - certainly none in his age group and maybe only one or two in other ages groups. No reason why she shouldn't do it though if she's happy with that, and of course it may have changed now (this was 2 or 3 seasons ago).

Not aware of any food clubs like you mentioned, but there is a food club which people can buy local produce through here. There's also a new Supper club in Rodborough which I rather fancy trying.

Which park is fab ? The little one on Walkley Hill?

sloppysoupdragon Sat 24-Sep-11 16:28:48

Hi Greenshadow, (and everyone else from Stroud and thereabouts!) our neighbours have children about 13 and 15 years old and DD has just been to Stroud high for a visit ( all she needs to do now is get in.... ) and we have just started DS at football at Stratford Park which he is loving so thats good. yes I was wondering about my daughter starting tag rugby at Minchinhampton - are they friendly to girls or is it a bit of a boys thing now ( she's nine but still a damn good tagger) also we are very interested in food - is there a food club around here where people get together to prepare food for the rest of the week and freeze it ( there used to be one in Oxford a few years ago and it worked really well ) Just a thought! Rodborough seems a great place for children and the park is fab. Also the Prince Albert pub is a bit of a mecca to for all things Stroudie and the beers 'deelish'...

Greenshadow Thu 22-Sep-11 21:07:50

Welcome to Stroud Sloppy.
Rodborough seems to be quite the place to be ! Certainly quite a good place to bring up children and the primary schools seem friendly although my children are older (secondary School age) so miss some of the interaction you get at the school gate.
We moved here 6 years ago and in some ways still feel quite new, but don't think that is a reflection on the area. Like you we moved when the children were already in school, so missed out on making friendships through baby and M&T groups.

sloppysoupdragon Wed 21-Sep-11 11:55:47

Hi all - just discovered this thread. We are brand new to Stroud ( Rodborough actually ) and would love to get to know some friendly faces and settle our 9 year old daughter and 5 year old son in. Amanda - what ages are your children ( boys / girls ? ) Paul McC - I can sympathise - someone once said that Gloucestershire is either really easy to settle into or really actually quite hard. Sophie although my son is now at school he is actually really good with the little tots, and so is my daughter. Location wise we aren't too far from the common and have discovered Winstones Ice cream (MMMMMMM) but are sure there is much much more out there to be discovered.... it would be great to join with like minded families and find out more about Stroud together.

Jofig Mon 19-Sep-11 21:06:05

Hi Heather,
Just come across your message and wonder if you have actually moved to Stroud?
I have recently moved to Chalford also from Bristol and i have 2 boys, one about to turn 3 and the other just turned 1. Same age as yours? Its lovely to be out of the city in such a lovely green and pleasant place. Enjoying taking life slowly at the moment and looking forward to finding out what our new life will be like.

Get in touch if your here and interested in meeting up.

tinybluebubbles Thu 18-Aug-11 18:36:04

Hi All

I'm looking to relocate to Stroud area soon, just me and my 3 kids! Fell in love with the area a while ago and really need a fresh start.

Does it take long to settle there? And do you get used to the narrow, windy roads easily?! lol I'm hoping its a great place to raise my kids. Really need to get them out and about more.

Would love to hear from anyone who has moved to the area, or even those who have lived there for ages for some advice and guidance!

Thanks

Amanda x

Sarah159 Fri 10-Jun-11 17:48:05

Hi PaulMc
Whereabouts are you? If you let us know roughly what area I'm sure someone here will be able to give some pointers :-)

PaulMc Wed 01-Jun-11 17:04:52

Hello my wife and I have moved from London and although we are both enjoying the new life in the country, my wife and my little boy are a bit at a loss as to how to meet people / make friends.

if anyone has any details of a mother and child meeting group it would be appreciated if you could add it to this thread ( although activity on this thread appears to stopped

redhappy Wed 20-Apr-11 21:04:52

Hi I'm at the bottom of Rodborough. I'm a local, but just moved back into the area.

There is a toddler group at Rodborough endowed school on Thursday mornI'm planning to go to.

Also, I would say definitely go to Tiddlewinks if you don't already. I have met so many people there. It's at St. Laurence's church at the end of the Shambles in the town centre (off the high street)

Greenshadow Fri 15-Apr-11 13:23:55

Hi Chickpoo.

I also live up on the Common - been here 5 years, but still feel quite new.

Unfortunately, my DC are all school age now, so am out of touch with what is going on for pre-schoolers, but didn't want your post to go unanswered. I do know that a new toddlers music group is starting up at Rodborough Community Hall after Easter if that is the kind of thing your DS enjoys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now