Advice on the area please :)

(21 Posts)
LittleDyn1982 Sat 15-Apr-17 06:24:13

Hi. DH has a job opportunity in Gloucester but we don't know the area at all (we currently live in Surrey)
Is it a nice place to live? And by that I mean is it relatively safe? Are there good schools? Is there plenty of things to do with kids? (Kids are 3 and 1) Nice churches? Which are the recommended areas to live and any that should be avoided? We're obviously planning on visiting to get a feel, but any information about Gloucester would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

GloucestershireGirl Sat 15-Apr-17 06:44:12

Gloucestershire is lovely, Gloucester not quite so unless you are into urban gritty....

That said there are loads of surrounding villages and smaller towns or Cheltenham if you want a city which is more like Guildford.

Whereabouts in Gloucester is the job? It would be easier then to say which areas are commutable.

We moved from Surrey and spent a weekend in the area looking around etc which I'd definitely recommend.

LittleDyn1982 Sat 15-Apr-17 07:51:45

Station in Gloucester, so pretty central in Gloucester I should imagine. Can't live more than an hour from the station, company rules.

SellMySoulForMoreSleep Sat 15-Apr-17 08:04:15

There are some lovely areas within an hour of Gloucester, pretty little Cotswold villages and towns. Gloucester itself is a dive. I grew up in Stroud (about 30 min drive), lovely place, great schools and there are loads of really pretty places nearby. It depends what you want. I'd suggest a trip to look around but don't start in Gloucester! Go up on the hills, the Common land - Minchinhampton, Selsley, have a look around the valleys (Slad Valley esp beautiful - where Laurie Lee based Cider with Rosie). Check out Painswick and Nailsworth, both super cute Cotswold villages. If you want a city Cheltenham is far nicer than Gloucester. It's not cheap (house price wise) but is a really lovely bit of the country.

GloucestershireGirl Sat 15-Apr-17 08:36:28

I second all the places suggested by Soul - I live in one of them!

I'd look along the train routes too - towards Stroud/stonehouse or Lydney or Cam & Dursley (towards Bristol) or Worcestershire.

LittleDyn1982 Sat 15-Apr-17 08:49:53

Thanks! Properties in our price range have been listed in places called Quedgeley, Linden and Newent. Any good?

SellMySoulForMoreSleep Sat 15-Apr-17 09:08:45

Sorry, can't help with them, they are all north of Gloucester and I'm familiar with the south. House prices are high around the southern parts, we looked at moving from London and realised we wouldn't get a great deal more. Definitely go and have a look around.

LittleDyn1982 Sat 15-Apr-17 09:17:19

Thanks so much! Definitely think a look around is needed, but this has given me a place to start

LucyPie Sat 15-Apr-17 09:48:40

The roads from the Forest of Dean into Gloucester can get very busy at rush hour making for a long commute.
Have a look at Churchdown.
Use the school mapping tool on Gloucestershire county council website to check distances from school. Some of the best primary schools have very small catchments.

GloucestershireGirl Sat 15-Apr-17 10:58:25

Quedgeley is suburbs of Gloucester really and mainly housing estates. Don't know linden and newent but traffic from the forest can be busy. You could look at Dursley with the train in.

What do you like? City, suburbs, small town, village or hamlet? And what's the size property you need/budget?

LittleDyn1982 Sat 15-Apr-17 11:17:09

I think anything except the city. A 2 bed to start I think, as long as it has a garden! Hoping to not spend more that 180,000,but think that won't allow us to live in the nicer areas??

officerhinrika Sat 15-Apr-17 11:27:39

Newent is a small pretty town with a good selection of housing. The commute in from the Forest of Dean can be awkward but will improve again soon when the ring road roadworks finish. The upside of west of the river is lower prices in gorgeous surroundings and some excellent schools. If going to Gloucester by train is possible you could go as far as Lydney which is very reasonable.
Quedgely is grim as is Linden albeit convenient. I'd agree with pp to try towards Dursley / Cam, or Churchdown if you want to stay in Gloucester.
Gloucester suffers as the poor relation of Cheltenham, however there is quite a bit going on, the Guildhall is good and there is the Quays for eating & cinema. Gloucester has two large Grammars that a lot of kids travel to plus a large well regarded Catholic Secondary, St Peters. The Cathedral is lovely and there's a surprising amount of older medieval buildings tucked away.
As a reference I am 15 miles west of Gloucester and would have got to work in under the hour most days.

officerhinrika Sat 15-Apr-17 11:43:02

These are in your range between Newent and Gloucester

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58592557.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57819856.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41725278.html

GloucestershireGirl Sat 15-Apr-17 11:47:00

There is a nice 2 bed in stonehouse for £175k and a shared room ownership 80% for £176k in Painswick. Can't seem to link from my phone as right move want my contact details hmm

3madcats Sat 15-Apr-17 17:08:09

Churchdown is lovely, and really well connected for Gloucester and Cheltenham, plus the motorway.

Localnickname Sat 15-Apr-17 17:34:01

We live in Dursley, moved from London and really love it.

Localnickname Sat 15-Apr-17 17:38:18

Both a little overbudget, but might be worth a look!
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47499777.html

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65698532.html

Applecheeks Sun 16-Apr-17 16:26:34

Gloucester city itself is grim in parts. Having said that there is lots going on for families and as a county we have lots of lovely parks and countryside. The city has a beautiful Cathedral and many historic buildings. The docks area has been regenerated with the Quays shopping area and has regular events. It has lots of chain type restaurants and a cinema. Villages on the outskirts of Cheltenham are nicer but this is reflected in house prices. Gloucester side your best bet is Churchdown, some parts of Hucclecote and perhaps Tewkesbury way. The Stroud area is nice but has a different feel. Quedgeley is essentially a big housing estate and fairly souless. Kingsway is a huge new development that borders Quedgeley these places are all 20 min drive to the city centre. It's a great place to raise a family and is well located for motorways etc

holidaymadness Sun 16-Apr-17 21:21:42

Im having a chuckle at some of these comments! Gloucester isnt the prettiest city & their are good parts & bad parts. From your list: Newent is a little town but more suited for the older generation. Quedgeley is about 3 miles out of Glos & not too bad. Lots of families live there. Parts of Linden are good too. Churchdown is very popular, but over priced in my opinion. Other parts of Gloucester itself that ok to live in are Elmbridge, Longlevens, Hempsted & Tuffley

starbaker66 Sun 16-Jul-17 10:20:33

I live Cam & Dursley, but grew up in Birmingham suburbs. I can thoroughly recommend the area..my kids would never survive where I grew up! Like all places, there are the more...ahem...salubrious parts...and others - not so much. There are some lovely walks, plenty of outdoor activities to get involved in, not to far from cinemas/shopping etc...but best of all, I found people to be exceptionally friendly and approachable. When I lived in Birmingham I waited at the same bus stop, with the same people, for 10years and never spoke a word. By comparison, I only had to see the same person twice in Gloucestershire and would immediately be on "nodding" terms! I've lived around here for 20 years now and I love it! Good luck with the move.😊

BreconBeBuggered Mon 17-Jul-17 22:33:01

Where did you choose in the end, OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now