West End nursery advicce

(81 Posts)
cocobongo Tue 23-Feb-10 23:42:02

Hi

Just looking for a wee bit advice on nurseries in the West End. I'll be looking for 1-2 days per week from August-ish and my baby will be 1. Is there anywhere you would recommend? And are there likely to be waiting lists- should I be looking to sign up now?

Ideally, I would like somewhere fairly close to where I live (Wilton St), or at least somewhere close enough to an underground station.

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

sb6699 Thu 16-Sep-10 14:09:25

As I said, I really cant comment on the new premises and I wasnt unhappy with day to day nursery life but more how the place was being run.

I know that on one occassion one of the staff told me something that was basically illegal as far as employment law goes and I just think a nursery is far nicer if the staff are happy. There also seemed to be a high ratio of trainees in relation to qualified staff which again may have improved.

We (including a couple of the other parents) had an issue with fees which in fairness could have been a genuine mistake but the owners were not particularly helpful in having it resolved.

AvrilHeytch Thu 16-Sep-10 20:49:30

Message withdrawn

giraffesCantDanceInBrokenHeels Thu 16-Sep-10 20:58:36

Avril was it a surprise or planned visit?

runnervt Thu 16-Sep-10 21:04:44

Nightingales Nursery at Yorkhill hospital is lovely. You don't have to be staff to use it.

giraffesCantDanceInBrokenHeels Thu 16-Sep-10 21:07:51

Mulberrybush in Yorkhill area is fab too.

AvrilHeytch Thu 16-Sep-10 21:36:57

Message withdrawn

giggly Wed 22-Sep-10 00:33:00

Derby Street nursery is owned and run by the daughter of the family who ran a brothel out of the same building!

Victoria Park has not changed ownership in 10 years, has had the same manger and room supervisiors for at least 7 years and in the last 5 years 3 members of staff have left{excluding mat leave}. Not bad for a staff turn over I would think.
They also introduced in line with changes in law the HNC ratio to unqualified staff as did all nurseries.

In 6 years of using Victoria Park have I ever heard of them moving staff to impress parents, and I belong to the gossip parents!

Surely if the staff were that unhappy they would have a higher turnover?

kellymck Wed 06-Oct-10 14:17:16

Hi, has anone used Hyde n seek nursery at templeton? was thinking of putting my wee boy in there. x

cas78 Mon 07-Feb-11 13:43:49

Just wondering if anyone can offer me some advice.
We have been offered a place 3 days a week at Nightingales Nursery or Mulberry Bush Montessori both in Yorkhill area.
Any thoughts on which one I should take would be very much appreciated??

suzikettles Fri 11-Feb-11 01:03:57

They are both excellent nurseries - great choice to have!

I have a friend whose son is very happy at Mullberry Bush. I like the Montessori ethos for pre-school so I'd have gone for that (if they'd been able to offer ds a place when we were looking 3 years ago..).

Nightingales gets excellent Care Commission reports and I also know someone whose dd went there (though years ago now) and they were very happy.

mmsmum Fri 11-Feb-11 19:31:30

Hi, I don't know if you have found anywhere yet but my daugther went to Acorn Park and we loved it. It gave her an amazing start so I highly recommend it

Issi74 Sat 14-May-11 09:18:12

Hi, my DS (2 yers old) is currently at nursery2 days, and in the autumn, I'll be returning to work, and will be putting in my DD (will be 9 months then) in to nursery as well. Although DS loves the nursery that he is currently in, I'm starting to have my reservations (things like staff always under pressure, not enough staff, door gate is broken and hasn't been fixed for weeks, not sure that he is getting stimulated enough), and I am starting to look for other nurseries. I live in Finneston, and annoyingly don't drive, so the nursery needs to be in walking distance for me. Does anyone have any children at the Derby Street nursery, as I've always thought that looks really nice, but the stories on here are a bit shock! If anyone had a recommendation (the Montesorrie nursery at Park Circus doesn't take babies), would be most appreciative!! Thanks

giraffesCantDanceWiOotBuckie Sat 14-May-11 10:05:53

have worked in mulberrybush - wonderful.

suzikettles Sat 14-May-11 19:04:17

I know someone who's dc has just started at Derby St and she's v happy with it (she knew the background but mud aside, it impressed her when she visited). It certainly got a very good initial Care Commission report.

Ds used to go to Parkgrove Nursery next door which had not that great a report last time out but we were always really happy with the staff and the nursery. The manager is newish and works really hard. We only moved ds to send him to the Clairmont kindergarten branch of the same chain up the road.

Issi74 Sun 15-May-11 08:18:18

Thanks for replies - Giraffe - is there a website for the Mulberry Bush nursery - I've googled it but can't seem to see any website for the place. Think I'll go & visit the Derby street nursery. I see them in the park often and the kids look v happy, and lots of interaction etc......

Thanks again!

giraffesCantDanceWiOotBuckie Sun 15-May-11 09:31:07

They used to have a website, I cant find it though. Thing I like about them is how often they go out - both outside to play and out to park/walk/art gals.

fifitrixabelle78 Sat 21-May-11 17:38:21

Hi...
Am only 8+0 today so this is a slightly idle enquiry but I stay in the Victoria Park area and will need to think about nurseries in due course.
I was really interested in seeing what people are saying about VP nursery as that would be v close for us.

Clearly nurseries are booked up v quickly so I was wondering how far in advance places like Nightingales or the Mulberry Bush get booked?

suzikettles Sat 21-May-11 19:08:59

Hi fifi - I don't know about Victoria Park, but as far as popular nurseries go, it's not unusual for people to start looking while they're still pregnant. My friend had it all sorted by the time she was 20 weeks.

Then there are people like me who don't get their arse into gear until 4 months before they go back to work. grin I did phone Nightingales & Mullberry Bush, and went on the waiting list for Nightingales (although came off after ds settled in his eventual nursery) but neither would have been able to offer a place before August of the following year.

fifitrixabelle78 Sun 22-May-11 08:46:15

Thanks suzi. This whole pregnancy and afterwards thing a bit bamboozling! The only hard fact I had heard is that I'll need to put the little bean's name down for J'hill immediately once he/she is born- school-wise. At least bang in middle of catchment area for there!
Will look at some nursery sites.

suzikettles Sun 22-May-11 14:47:03

Well weirdly this week I heard someone say that their friend phoned up Jordanhill when their ds was born to put his name down and was told "you're leaving it a bit late for primary school".

However, that might have been an out of catchment place, and anyway it's one of those friend-of-a-friend stories that may have little basis in fact..

Personally, I was a bit in denial about the whole post-birth-you-take-home-an-actual-baby thing so I didn't really do anything other than a buy a pack of nappies, a few babygrows and a pram before ds was actually here.

gilfillan74 Mon 15-Aug-11 20:33:20

Help
Visited two nurseries today for my 3 year old, 1st one was step by step nursery i really liked the girl's there but the place didnt have alot of light and the place was quite messy, 2nd one was west end nursery great looking place we went in on a quiet day but didnt really get the enthusiasm as in the 1st and plus my son seemed to settle in the 2nd one better WHAT do i do? checked the care commission report and the 1st nursery seemed to excel HELP

Geordieminx Mon 15-Aug-11 20:40:39

IMO a messy place means more fun!

I would make a choice based on which one my ds settled in, and seemed happiest in, and also on my gut instinct,

I saw 2 nurseries, first one was brand new, all singing and dancing, underfloor heating, kitchen where kids can watch their meals being prepared. The other was chaotic, messy, and loud, with the friendliest, enthusiastic approchable staff.

We picked the second, and have never regretted our decision. Ds settled in immediately, and it's become like a second home to him.

ClubSmed Fri 01-Jun-12 18:56:29

I am moving to the area soon, has anyone got an oppinion on Munro's?

Serennova Tue 05-Jun-12 12:04:57

Dunno, however regarding Step by Step, its a fantastic nursery. Dont judge them by the answering machine! All of the staff are lovely, and it has a very caring environment. I have two kids there and they both love it there.

Regarding messy, I definitely regard a messy nursery as better because the staff are prioritizing looking after the kids and having fun.

Practitioner86 Fri 31-Aug-12 16:20:41

I have worked in Somerset Nursery - Parkgrove Terrace and Clairmont Gardens and could not recommend the nurseries enough. Children are very much at the centre of everything and their enjoyment was always top of the priority list. I can say the nurseries were very safe, clean and great fun for everyone there. It was a great place to work and many of the staff had been there for a considerable amount of time. I would have absolutely no worries about placing a child of mine in either of these nurseries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now