Gymnastic clubs in Glasgow

(11 Posts)
glasjam Tue 01-Sep-09 19:03:23

I know about Jumping Jacks but what happens when kids get to school age? My 5 year old DS is throwing himself around at every available opportunity and I think some proper gymnastics lessons would be a great way for him to channel this energy. I don't think the PE in school will be enough. Does anyone know of or have any recommendations for any gym clubs that maybe run early evenings or over the weekend? I have tried looking online but haven't gleaned much - I thought there might be something at Scotstoun but haven't found anything as yet. I'm in the West End but could travel further afield if it was worth it

Aimsmum Tue 01-Sep-09 19:19:05

Message withdrawn

glasjam Wed 02-Sep-09 15:39:47

Thanks Aimsmum I'll check that out. I know they do Jumping Jacks there as my son did that briefly when he was 3. I wondered if they moved on from that stage into more "traditional" gymnastics.

heymammy Wed 02-Sep-09 16:05:00

Hi Glasjam, they def do gymnastics at scotstoun leisure centre so prob do it at the other leisure centres. At scotstoun it's 4 o'clock on a Tue or Thur. Ask at reception 'cos they have a leaflet about it. They do more traditional gymnastic positions for floor work and use the beam etc so a bit more 'grown up' I suppose. It's good fun smile

glasjam Wed 02-Sep-09 18:36:50

Thanks for that heymammy. I find it really hard searching for gymnastics classes at the leisure centres because you are always led to the Glasgow City Council central website and all I can see is the Fitness and swimming pool timetables - find it quite frustrating!! Or perhaps I am just being dense grin

scotlass Wed 02-Sep-09 18:43:33

they do gymnastics at broadwood stadium, cumbernauld. might be bit far for you to travel. Have heard they're quite good there though

giraffesCanDanceInTheSunshine Wed 02-Sep-09 18:46:04

Scotstoun one is good, follows on from JJs.

glasjam Wed 02-Sep-09 21:08:38

Thanks scotlass - I don't have a car so I think the Cumbernauld one is a bit far which is a shame because it sounds as if it's a goodun!

GiraffesCDITS - I'll have to check out Scotstoun cos I'm sure I can get a bus along the Great Western Road that will get me in the vicinity. Is it run by the same people that do JJs?

smallorange Wed 02-Sep-09 21:11:14

we go to kelvinhall 3.45pm on a tuesday night. dd1 loves it.

SnowWoman Wed 02-Sep-09 21:23:50

Bellahouston has a very good gymnastics club afaik. DD2 went to one at the Allander centre in Milngavie for several years, which was a trek from the southside, but she enjoyed it and they seemed pretty good. Might be worth checking the British Gymnastics Assoc website for other clubs in the area.

giraffesCanDanceInTheSunshine Wed 02-Sep-09 21:39:57

You can get the 66 from GWroad that goes to scostoun then its a ten min walk from bus stop. Yup as far as I know its same people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now