A baby name question specific to life in GLASGOW...

(22 Posts)
magbags Tue 28-Jul-09 16:34:12

I am due to give birth to a ds in a couple of weeks and dh and I are really struggling with boys names. REALLY struggling!

I know there is a baby naming section on Mumsnet but my question is specifically for all you lovely Mumseters here in Glasgow (as this is where we live too).

So here goes <holds breath>. What do you think of the name Felix for my little boy? This is by far dh's favourite name but I am a bit worried that Glasgow isn't ready for it / it will attract lots of hmm looks. So please be honest and as brutal as you like...

(1) Do you like the name Felix?
(2) Are the cat connections a deal breaker?
(3) Can Glasgow handle this name or do you think it is a bit too "out there"?

Other names on our shortlist are:
Oscar
Alex
Louis (pronounced Loo-ee)
Austin

Sorry, I've gone on a bit here and thanks in advance for your comments!grin

nickytwotimes Tue 28-Jul-09 16:42:01

a) Not really I am afraid
b) Yes, for me
c) Glasgow probably could handle it. I am actually an Ayrshire lassie, so a bit backward. wink

I love Oscar, Alex and Louis. Austin is a car in my mind.

doggiesayswoof Tue 28-Jul-09 16:43:06

I think Felix might be too much for certain areas of Glasgow grin

I don't personally like it that much. I would prob be a bit hmm if I met someone who had named their child Felix tbh, although of course I would say nothing.

Where will you live/where will he go to school? Think about that first!

If you are West End and he is going private then no bother smile

I like all your other names a lot, especially Alex (this is DS's name as it happens)

If you go for Louis you will get it pronounced Lewis and it will do your head in. All just imo of course.

Good luck with your new DS.

Jbck Tue 28-Jul-09 16:47:03

If you live West End then go ahead but he'll never be able to live in Dennistoun even when it's all fancy schmancy for the commonwealth games.grin

I'm not a fan of Felix tbh, but I love Oscar.

You'll change your mind when you see him aanyway.

magbags Tue 28-Jul-09 16:47:15

Doggiesayswoof do you think Louie would be a better alternative spelling of Louis to prevent confusion? I wondered about this, especially given that Lewis is the No1 boys name in Scotland at the mo.

Thanks for all comments so far!

doggiesayswoof Tue 28-Jul-09 16:52:49

Yes I like Louie.

Aimsmum Tue 28-Jul-09 17:08:35

Message withdrawn

nulgirl Tue 28-Jul-09 17:37:44

I know a Felix in Glasgow but he is in his fifties from a very heavily irish catholic family with lots of traditional names so I associate it with that kind of era. I do like the name though and think it is not too "out there" for Glasgow.

I know a little boy called Oscar (and we are from the south side not the rarified west end) and love the name. My dh vetoed it however. Alex and Louis are both good. Austin sounds a bit old in my mind. Must be association with the car.

prettybird Tue 28-Jul-09 18:25:17

I'm biased as ds' middle name is Alexander but my faourite of the 4 is Alex.

Agree with the other comments that it depends where he would be going to school and the sort of parents you are.

Having said that, the multi-culturalsim of today's Glasgow means that pretty much anything goes.

For example: names that I can think of off the top of my head at ds' school (inner city school, 60% ethnic minorities and kids that range from "not knowing where the next meal will come from" to...blush "parents who take their kid out of school to go skiing") (to be fair, wth the school's approval grin), there are the following: Zak, Ross, Sanand, Hedair, Finlay, Aqza, Kennedy, Logan, Samuel, Richard, Matthew, James. Girls names include Elidh, Ekaterina, India, Havana, Sophia, Megan, Samina.

So I am sure that if you (or your dh) really like Felix, then your ds will "grow" in to it.

magbags Tue 28-Jul-09 19:52:33

This confirms what I thought myself about Felix tbh. Am sharing your responses with dh too to convince him away from his first choice (am sure he'll get over it).wink

Prettybird can you say what your ds's first name is? I am wondering about Alexander as a middle name too if we go with Louis as the first name. Think this goes quite well. That said, my preference for a middle name would usually be something with a family connection.

Did anyone else find choosing a name this hard? Naming dd was a breeze compared to this boy's name malarky.

prettybird Tue 28-Jul-09 19:54:24

It's Matthew, which I think goes really well with Alexander

prettybird Tue 28-Jul-09 19:56:46

Oh - and my best friend's eldest is called Alexander (Alex) and is a sort of honorary cousin... especailly since he has 3 sisters and2 girl cousins, so ds is his only male "relative". Ds hero worships him (ds is 8, Alex is now about 20!)

ssd Tue 28-Jul-09 19:57:16

A baby name question specific to life in GLASGOW...

my first thought was Ned....

sorry

magbags Tue 28-Jul-09 20:10:40

Thanks for your input ssd. hmm

ssd Tue 28-Jul-09 20:17:08

oh I was joking

magbags Tue 28-Jul-09 20:25:04

Aah, you meant the name Ned. You weren't insinuating that I was a... shock I see now lol.grin

ssd Tue 28-Jul-09 22:07:56

yes the name! wasn't being insulting! smile

owlandpussycat Tue 28-Jul-09 22:13:02

Do know a 5 yr old called Felix in Glasgow, and a 6yr old Louis. No probs with either. No probs with Alex, not uncommon but not too many either, but thinking Austin (Powers) too much and same with Oscar!

magbags Wed 29-Jul-09 18:39:44

lol Owlgrin Just shows that opinion varies depending on who you know! Good to know that the pronunciation for Louis not a definite issue in and around Glasgow. I suppose you would only have to tell people once (at worst).

magbags Wed 29-Jul-09 18:41:23

Prettybird, Mathew is lovely with Alexander.smile

prettybird Wed 29-Jul-09 18:48:55

The only "problem" with Matthew is that sometimes people only spell it with one "t" wink

magbags Wed 29-Jul-09 22:24:35

Prettybird, opps sorry about that.blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now