So who wants a Waitrose on the Byres Rd instead of Somerfield?

(38 Posts)
glasjam Fri 13-Feb-09 22:21:10

Have a heard speculation that Waitrose are looking to move in. What do you reckon - do we need it, do we want it??!

uberalice Fri 13-Feb-09 22:22:39

I was in the Byres Rd Somerfield the other night and it was grim. But I don't live round there so it wouldn't make that much difference to me.

AitchTwoOh Fri 13-Feb-09 22:29:21

where did you hear this? i would love a waitrose... i already like the contrast we've got going with the Iceland/M&S interface.

trixymalixy Fri 13-Feb-09 22:30:02

Oooh yes. I'm not in byres Rd often, but i would visit especially to go to waitrose!

AitchTwoOh Fri 13-Feb-09 22:30:03

actually, what am i saying? i'd rather the co-op.

shonaspurtle Fri 13-Feb-09 22:30:18

Ooh yes! Dh's cousin told me this about a year ago. Her boss was a surveyor or something which put him in the know.

Yes please. That Somerfield just looks like it's waiting for something to put it out of its misery.

shonaspurtle Fri 13-Feb-09 22:31:12

Aitch, why the coop?

Mummyfor3 Fri 13-Feb-09 22:31:20

Would LOVE a Waitrose! Even just to walk around it in wonder, salivating...wink
Heard, though, it was going to be a Tesco??

AitchTwoOh Fri 13-Feb-09 22:31:23

oi, spurtle. i was emailing forbes masson's wife the other day (as you do) and i told her about your touching tribute to the high life. she phsl.

AitchTwoOh Fri 13-Feb-09 22:31:54

the co-op has bought a lot of the somerfield stores i thought. will google.

AitchTwoOh Fri 13-Feb-09 22:32:45

did this not go through then?

shonaspurtle Fri 13-Feb-09 22:33:47

lol - I hope he's getting a bit of cash out of the rerun (have no idea how that sort of thing works).

I had the DVD and everything.

AitchTwoOh Fri 13-Feb-09 22:38:05

he's playing the fool to pete postlethwaite's lear, apparently. getting good reviews.

<sighs>

i just miss him at the tron panto.

shonaspurtle Fri 13-Feb-09 22:45:19

I remember when it was all Safeways, far as the eye could see.

Our local was Partick, but you needed to go to Byres Rd if you wanted to buy posh stuff like tahini or whole black pepper corns.

I got a bit excited when Sainsbury's opened on Crow Rd. God knows what I'd be like with a Waitrose. Spending the child benefit on that bum butter the southerners talk of no doubt.

glasjam Fri 13-Feb-09 22:47:18

I'm in two minds about it. In some ways I despair when I go in there at the queues, all the students flicking their long scarves in my face and the security man eyeing me suspiciously when I balance things on top of my pushchair rather than get a basket. But I think it is suitable for the area. I know a lot of people would love a Waitrose (I would too but would be VERY damaging to the crunched purse!)but where would all those school girls, students and batty old ladies go? Greggs can't cope with all of them surely?

Wouldn't the Co-op be more of the same?

To be honest the Byres Road looks very depressing at the moment. Poor old Woolies gone, the newly opened Atrium closed, Haddows the offy and more. I wonder if the likes of Heart of Buchanan, Sentry Box, that twee picture-framing/trinketty shop are feeling the pinch?

AitchTwoOh Fri 13-Feb-09 22:53:24

oooh, no, the co-op very cool imo. lots of fairtrade and organic and good deals.

agree the byres is looking decrepit. o'briens (the always-mysterious irish sandwich shop hmm) and bookworld gone too.

weirdly, though, no shortage of opticians for us speccy bastards.

shonaspurtle Fri 13-Feb-09 22:58:16

Has anyone been into the new bookshop further down? I read about it in the paper when it opened & have looked in the window but not been in. I'd worry for an independent bookshop at the best of times, but it always felt like the West End should be able to support more than Bookworld & that place up at Hyndland.

When John Smith's closed a group of us had a dreamy dream about opening an independent in that site (pub talk, not business plans and visits to the bank..) and then feckin Starbucks shock

AitchTwoOh Fri 13-Feb-09 23:00:57

i've never been inside that starbucks as a protest.

i've been in, shona. it's DOOMED. the poor, poor woman. lovely wee shop but no stock, really. it's more like her private book collection.

they have story reading though, for kids. i must take dd.

glasjam Fri 13-Feb-09 23:09:39

Had forgotten about the Fairtrade and Organic stuff - always associate the Co-op with saving stamps and funeral packages - showing my age!

Haven't been in that new bookshop yet - looks very bright and welcoming but a bit sparse for my liking.

Always get excited to see what will take the place of these closed-down shops but it's invariably a charity shop, mobile phone shop, or, as Aitch says, an opticians - did pop into Specsavers with my newly myopic other half and he managed to get a decent pair of specs - was quite a nice experience. I wonder how long the smaller, independent opticians can last when faced with these shiny new imposters. The hairdressers and beauty salons must be taking a pasting too.

Maybe a Waitrose moving in would lift its fortunes?

MintChocAddict Fri 13-Feb-09 23:27:32

I've never been in a Waitrose. Might have to cross the river for a nosy if it goes ahead. grin

giraffescantdancethetango Tue 17-Feb-09 01:53:25

I have never been in one either

Mummyfor3 Fri 06-Mar-09 17:57:10

Any news on this?
<<trying to look non-chalant and not letting on that would find Waitrose on stomping ground really, really exciting..>>

glasjam Sat 02-May-09 22:19:24

Well, as I was walking past Somerfield the other day, two men in front of me were discussing the fortunes of the store. Felt obliged to earwig of course! One of them said that the lease runs out for Somerfield in September and that Waitrose hope to be in there by Xmas. Just thought I would do my duty and report back on this.

Very disappointed to see that ANOTHER bleedin mobile phone shop has opened where that electrical shop was too.

MintChocAddict Sat 02-May-09 22:24:22

Thanks for the update glasjam. Think that my nose will get the better of me and that I'll be in for some mince pies in December.

trixymalixy Wed 08-Jul-09 23:55:00

confirmation!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now