Travelling by train from Glasgow to Birmingham - anyone done it?

(4 Posts)
glasjam Wed 22-Oct-08 14:42:51

Hiya - in case there is anyone tuning into this board (it's a bit quiet usually...)

I need to travel to Birmingham with my toddler who is 15 months. I've had a quick look at the trains but it seems to me that it takes 4-5 hrs to get there from Glasgow and about 6/7hours to get back?! Am I just not looking properly - can't see why there is a discrepancy in the travel times on the outward and return journeys.

Will be looking into airfares as I did this last time but am thinking that I could do it cheaper by train surely? Would be travelling at the weekend so peak time but won't be going for a few weeks so theoretically should be able to get a cheaper deal.

BexieID Thu 23-Oct-08 22:20:44

Maybe the difference in length of journey is due to a slighly different route or more stops? I used to travel from Reading to Glasgow alot, until one time the train was really delayed and I had to change trains a few times, so always flew after that. Now we go by car as I now live in Scotland.

I can't imagine going on the train for that length of time with my Tom (2.6), who clings onto me for the 40 min trip to Glasgow from Dumbarton!

Leeza2 Thu 23-Oct-08 22:32:56

if you look on the train line site they will give you the routings so you might be able to choose a better time for your return journey

glasjam Fri 24-Oct-08 10:29:28

Yes, I had a look at trainline.com and they certainly don't give any better options - they just give a nice 4 hour journey there and then a MINIMUM of a 5 and a half hour journey back with a change in Carlisle (with a 10 minute changeover). Don't fancy having to change trains with a pushchair and baggage in tow. I just find it ridiculous that they have a direct route there and NO direct routes back grrrrrr! I haven't even looked into the cost as it's just not an attractive alternative to a direct flight - guess I'll just have to keep stomping up that carbon footprint!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now