travelling to glasgow for a girly weekend-looking for recommendations for good bars and restaurants

(41 Posts)
Flier Thu 10-Jul-08 16:50:42

anywhere serve decent cocktails, what are nice friendly safe bars for 4 ladies?

Candlegirl Mon 14-Jul-08 21:27:56

Corinthian is just off Georg Square and sells great cocktails and is very friendly & safe - my workmates go there and we have also had our xmas nights out in there as later you can dance.

Alibobster Mon 14-Jul-08 22:27:27

Can second the corinthian - was there on Saturday night. About 5 min walk from there, there is a gorgeous Italian called The Italian Kitchen. Really fantastic food and it's a brilliant atmosphere - it would be great fun with a crowd of pals. Booking recommended though as the place was packed all night

Aimsmum Mon 14-Jul-08 22:37:40

Message withdrawn

ExterminAitch Mon 14-Jul-08 22:42:52

i would rather die than risk anywhere on sauchiehall st. keep well away.

stick to the west end or merchant city.

Aimsmum Mon 14-Jul-08 22:54:08

Message withdrawn

TracyK Mon 14-Jul-08 22:56:25

Where are you staying Flier?

I'd second (or third?) West End or Merchant City. But they are far apart so you'll have to decide on one area per night.

Flier Tue 15-Jul-08 13:32:40

just saw that people had posted here, thanks everyone. We are staying (can't remember name of hotel) just opposite the Buchanan galleries, next to the bus station.

bookthief Tue 15-Jul-08 13:35:50

I had a good meal in the restaurant at the bottom of that hotel, Flier. The bar looks nice as well. (Can't remember the name of it either)

prettybird Tue 15-Jul-08 14:01:16

The hotel was called Langs, but seem to remember noticing when I drove past a couple of weeks ago that it had changed its name - or it might just have been half of it that had changed its name.

The hotel itslef does coktails etc but don't know what it would be like for a gilry night (I was there for a Christma do).

There are also places on Bath Street. St Judes is supposed to be a good cocktail place and very chic. Judes

Have to admit though that I don't really know Glasgow for "going out" - depsite having been back as an adult for c14 years blush

Sarti's, across the road in Bath St from St Junes is great for Italian meals (also in Wellington Street).

bookthief Tue 15-Jul-08 14:07:52

Second Sarti's. I love it a lot.

Aimsmum Tue 15-Jul-08 14:10:03

Message withdrawn

prettybird Tue 15-Jul-08 14:12:23

But you do need to book Sarti's for the evenings. Can't book for lunch - just make sure to get there before 12.30.

ExterminAitch Tue 15-Jul-08 14:34:04

i am never very impressed with Sarti's, tbh. if you wnat somewhere Really Nice and actually not too expensive (three courses for about 25, that sort of thing) i cannot recommend Guys in the Merchant City highly enough.

Flier Tue 15-Jul-08 14:39:09

thanks everyone - so am I right in saying that Merchant city is closes to where we will be staying, or is it much of a muchness taxi wise?

Aimsmum Tue 15-Jul-08 14:40:56

Message withdrawn

ExterminAitch Tue 15-Jul-08 14:46:50

or you'd jump on the tube at buchanan st and get off at hillhead. no16 a nice restaurant in west end.

prettybird Tue 15-Jul-08 14:47:22

You could also get tho the West End easily by the underground. Station the other side of Buchanan Galleries.

ExterminAitch Tue 15-Jul-08 14:47:35

10 mins journey, glasvegas v small.

Flier Tue 15-Jul-08 14:51:31

hmm methinks its going to be difficult to cram everything into one weekend!

ExterminAitch Tue 15-Jul-08 14:57:45

what have you planned?
it sounds naff but i really recommend the tourist bus trips, you can jump on and off them at all the relevant bits.

if i was in glasgow for a weekend i'd take a wander to the west end, deffo, k'grove park and museum, nice bars etc and you can jump off the naff tourist bus right outside, then pick up another one to get home.

ExterminAitch Tue 15-Jul-08 14:58:24

oh, and personally i find pollok park and the burrell collection enchanting.

Flier Tue 15-Jul-08 15:01:26

we'll be there from lunchtime on the saturday until about 6pm on the sunday, so not long really. Going to see "the vagina monologues" on the Sat night and not much else planned as yet. shopping, i suppose wink

Flier Tue 15-Jul-08 16:19:59

okay, been told about cocktail bat called fifi and allie's - anyone heard of it?

ExterminAitch Tue 15-Jul-08 16:22:28

sure, it's in princes square. good scones.
where's the play?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now