Glasgow Gaelic School Advice

(6 Posts)
pumpkinpatch10 Sun 02-Nov-14 13:24:29

Hi,
First time poster here!
My girl is due to start school next year and we had intended to send her to Glasgow Gaelic School. She's at a Gaelic medium nursery just now and has really taken to learning the language. I visited the school recently and was struck by how over subscribed it is. I appreciate that the issue is not of their own making and they seemed to be coping admirably given the circumstances.
I suppose my issue is that my daughter, while quite confident, struggles in very 'busy' environments and tends to withdraw. This is something we'll have to manage no matter which school she goes to but the Gaelic School seems to be extraordinarily 'busy'.
Does anyone have kids at the Gaelic School and how have your children found it there? X

prettybird Tue 04-Nov-14 12:08:38

weegiemum (I think she's weegiemummy on the Local Board - but you can search for her on the "main" Talk board, is the person to ask. She's got 3 kids at the schhol. I think there are a couple of other MNers with kids at the school.

pumpkinpatch10 Tue 04-Nov-14 13:39:03

Thanks very much prettybird!

comeonpilgrim Wed 05-Nov-14 20:06:59

I was in your position last year with my daughter, who wasn't terribly confident and was better in small groups rather than bigger ones, got overwhelmed at birthday parties, etc. She is now at the Gaelic school and absolutely loves it. The settling-in period was well organised and the classes were sorted so they would be with other children from their nursery. She has become much more confident since august and I've been really pleased with the school so far.
I don't know if you are aware, but there is another Gaelic school opening on the south side next year so children in that catchment will be moving to that one (up to p4 i think). Should make the school a bit less busy.

prettybird Wed 05-Nov-14 20:49:17

The new Gaelic primary school will be attached to an existing primary - one I can vouch for as it's the one that ds went to smile Obviously the school itself will be different but I'm sure it will continue its excellent and inclusive ethos.

MaybesAye Tue 11-Nov-14 20:06:28

I have kids at the school. Its a great school but busy. Currently the top floor is taken up by the decant from St Pats while they're refurbished so fuller again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now