We'd like to move to Glasgow

(11 Posts)
ChrisMW Fri 10-Oct-14 22:08:09

Hi,

My family and I are considering a move to Glasgow. We aren't high earners but, like everyone else, we want somewhere nice to live that doesn't cost the earth.

We'd like to live in the city itself rather than a town nearby. Which areas in Glasgow are affordable but friendly and have good schools?

Thanks! smile

MintChocAddict Fri 10-Oct-14 23:51:22

Do you mean right in the City Centre or would you consider outer parts of city boundary?
If so then parts of Southside are nice. Decent schooling in some areas although Glasgow schools in general perform in exams at a slightly lower level than some nearby council areas. Shawlands Academy seems to have a much better reputation these days though. Have a look at Scottish Schools online for HMI inspection reports.
The West end is also an option. Nice parks, social scene. Glasgow Uni close by so lots going on. Secondary schools seem to be OK and people appear to be clambering to get their DCs into big new primary school and Gaelic school.
Whatever you choose it's a cracking city with great architecture, culture, shopping, parks etc.

prettybird Mon 13-Oct-14 13:41:25

I'd heartily recommend Shawlands Academy: ds is there (placing request, but only 5 miutes further - walk than the school he should've gone to, Bellahouston - and indeed, he walks past kids who are going to Bella who have to walk as far as him) and doing well.

He's bright and sporty and being encouraged in both. Pupils from Shawlands regularly get in to Oxbridge, so it must be doing something right! grin

A range of housing within the catchment and most of the primary schools are good too. smile

Areteprettymum Fri 24-Oct-14 18:55:11

Bishopbriggs or Robroyston
Excellent schools and communities
Good luck op

wecanbeheroes Sat 25-Oct-14 06:33:15

A word of caution. The job market is still very tight here - ie not many of them. It's taken DP 4 years to find some job security - and he had to go self employed to do it. I've been looking at moving jobs and there is almost nothing out there. Once people have a good job here they tend not to move. There seems to be more jobs over in Edinburgh (at least in our sectors). So I would make sure you have a firm job offer/offers before you commit to a move

judybloomers Mon 27-Oct-14 19:58:17

I guess the question is, what do you mean by affordable? 150k for a 3 bed or 300k? That will help people give some ideas. There are lots of great places to live in Glasgow, knowing your rough budget will help the advice be useful.

lotsofcheese Sat 01-Nov-14 17:14:07

East Renfrewsire has excellent schools. It's more suburban than city or rural, but pretty friendly.

janeBoyle Wed 26-Nov-14 11:48:15

West End is great but very expensive. Shawlands is far more affordable and has great things like its schools, pubs, restaurants etc.

Bishopbriggs is also another area that should definitely be considered.

Best to spend a bit of time in a few different areas if you can, so you can get a fee for the area.

HebridesToGlasgow Fri 28-Nov-14 20:54:18

I would recommend the southside of glasgow grin primary schools are good- for secondary East Renfrewshire schools are better but house prices tend to reflect that too.

kirkygal Fri 28-Nov-14 22:05:16

i stay in Kirkie/lenzie-which maybe you would think is out of town -but 10 mins in train takes you to central glasgow /1/2 hour in train to edinburgh and 20/30 mins to west end. Lenzie academy is a great school and lots of new housing available

kirkygal Fri 28-Nov-14 22:06:08

kirkie is kirkintilloch -very friendly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now