Glasgow West End - Hairdresser Recommendation

(74 Posts)
siorf Tue 13-Mar-12 17:21:18

Hi
Being new to Glasgow, and to the West End, I am in dire need of a new haircut and great hairdresser. Looking for something fresh - and a cut thats easy but stylish. Any suggestions please as I have had WAY too many bad haircuts in my day and really need to get my mojo back!
Thanks
S

scottishmummy Sun 30-Sep-12 20:26:21

Dylan at rainbow room George square great
not cheap but fab staff,
good consultations,know their stuff

P11P Mon 11-Mar-13 15:43:46

I am extremely disappointed by the customer service I received at LimeBlew, Ruthven Lane. I wanted blonde highlights and ended up with a ginger mess which had to be dyed a second time to attempt to rectify the mistake. Not only was the colour wrong but the dye job was terrible and my hair is now patchy. I was in the salon for over 6 hours and my hair was not even cut. The service was very poor, with excuses being made about the colour in my hair and the patches that had been dyed in. In the end my money had to be refunded as they did not attempt to fix my hair and overall the experience was dreadful, I cannot express my disappointment enough.

mazzamcw Mon 18-Mar-13 19:24:22

I had a haircut from a great stylist called Dougie at Cruz Hair & Beauty at the end of 2012. Unfortunately I called today to make another appointment and he no longer works there :-( ...and they wouldn't tell me which salon he went to. Anyone any ideas??

awaynboilyurheid Sat 23-Mar-13 18:16:17

Another vote for Byres and Burrell, both my daughters go and their hair is their pride and glory, another vote for cheryl, but they are all meant to be good.

bramble55 Sat 13-Apr-13 21:29:16

I need a REALLY GOOD HAIRCUT!! Can anyone recommend a good hair salon in the West End, where they have an older clientele. I have an allergy to hair dye, I'm in my fifties, and I need a sympathetic hairdresser hmm

prettybird Tue 16-Apr-13 12:19:01

Brambles - I go to Cresswell & Co (on Cresswell Lane) and get Greg to do my hair. It's very reasonable (my cut last week, on my 52nd birthday, was £45 - a colour is usually about £90).

Greg is good at listening to what you want - at the moment I'm growing my hair but when I decide to cut it, he'll do it in a way that suits me (I've had it both long and short since I started going to him - I used to go to Taylor Ferguson's and get Taylor to do it, but stopped when it got too expensive tried to forget about the £200+ cut 'n' colour blush). The other main guy (Gavin?) also seems to be good at listening and I've seen nice haircuts that he's done.

Tel 334 5031. One word of warning though - they don't take credit cards (except for beauty treatments?), so you need cash.

Lynxland Fri 03-May-13 16:55:24

I live in the west end and have a fab hairdresser who comes to the house. This is fab as have very young children. PM me if you want details!

MumMum27 Sat 29-Jun-13 18:01:47

Hi I go to cresswell & co . Always get the the best hair cut x they always listen to wat I want x they make me feel so welcome xxx

MumMum27 Sun 30-Jun-13 09:54:44

Hi I go to a hairdressers in the westend it's called cresswell & co . I love going there they always make me feel welcome . The staff is so friendly . I always leave happy .

JennyPiccolo Sun 30-Jun-13 10:02:58

I went to the rainbow rooms years ago and they put bleach on my scalp. It was incredibly painful, I'm surprised my hair didn't fall out. That was about ten years ago though.

Yummymummy0284 Mon 01-Jul-13 21:42:11

Went to cresswell & co in the west of glasgow as I needed a new look got great colour from jackie and great cut from Caroline , great atmosphere will defo use a again got great comments from friends

dianne07 Tue 02-Jul-13 17:47:49

I stay in the wet end also and i have been going to the same hairdressers for years. Its called Cresswell & co...situated in Cresswell lane...just off byres road! amazing service, friendly staff and i always leave happy. I would highly reccomend.

gmckenzie Mon 29-Jul-13 20:06:18

Hi there mums! I have been reading some reviews and wanted to add my own little bit into it!

I have been going to Derek & Nicola (the owners of Byres & Birrell) for the last 20 years and followed them from previous salons until they had Byres & Birrell. I have always been happy with every cut, colour, product and any other things I have spent my money on throughout the years. This however is no longer, I wont be returning to Byres & Birrell. The young boy who works in the salon is the reason I will not be returning. I would HIGHLY recommend that if you choose this salon that you ask that he does not shampoo your hair or even bring you tea or coffee. His language is absolutely vulgar and outright disgusting. When I go to have my hair done I like to relax, do not get me wrong if the young person shampooing my hair wants to ask me what I am doing with my day or how my holidays been I am more than happy to chat away as all the young girls are so pleasant, I do not however want to over hear a young boy telling a lady at the basins of his weekend 'antics' shall we say, and how many girls he has got on the day etc etc... I have 4 daughters and find this VERY disrespectful. This incident happened a few months ago but I did go back since and have still continued to overhear horrible language and therefore will not be returning.
Has anyone else witnessed or over heard any of this?

Lindaarbuthnot Sun 01-Sep-13 10:27:53

Please ladies do not go to Tina Reilly salon in partick, I asked for chocolate brown base with caramel/beige highlights and I have the most disgusting shade of rusty red .after complaining they put more highlights in but looks awful . I'm calling Taylor ferguson tomorrow it will cost an arm and a leg but need to get this fixed , thank goodness I'm off work till Thursday !!!!!

mummyusuallyknowsbest Tue 01-Oct-13 13:46:13

sculptur have a salon at david lloyd in the west end (free parking) and at woodlands road, and are soon to open on Byres rd too. It's rare for me to stick to one salon as I tend to chop and change, but I've used the David Lloyd salon since it opened and have had various stylists. I've always been happy with the end result and their prices are really good too.

dianne07 Tue 22-Oct-13 10:25:27

Hi I go to Cresswells .co to get my colour done with Jackie and I also take my little boy in for dean to cut his hair on a Tuesday it's such a friendly salon I would recommend it to everyone

SnugglyBabies Tue 22-Oct-13 17:10:09

Urban West on Great Western Road next to Kelvinbridge underground station. Staff are extremely professional and put you at ease. They have a student discount also.

dianne07 Mon 11-Nov-13 11:57:54

Was at cresswell and co on Saturday for a return visit! Went to see Claire for a complete makeover loved my cut and colour. Also she suggested that I had my hair put for a ball that day which I also loved. They were also doing a deal on there gel nails that day so had them also. Amazing buzz in the salon with friendly efficient staff. Tea and homemade shortbread was an added bonus! And yes they do accept credit cards!!!!

prettybird Mon 11-Nov-13 13:08:09

That's new - they didn't accept credit cards when I was there at the beginning of October. They DO accept credit cards for "beauty" things though - maybe the fact that you had two things you were paying for made a difference?

herdawness Sat 23-Nov-13 21:19:38

Agree with Urban West on Great Western Road, great prices and friendly staff.. Have been going to Sarah for years now and never disappointed.

MumMum27 Tue 07-Jan-14 21:55:56

I recommend a visit to Cresswell&Co in Cresswell Lane. I've been going there for a while now, the staff is so friendly and down to earth. I always leave feeling satisfied with the service I received. I get my hair cut from Caroline which she always gives me a choice in what I would like and always makes sure I have an up to date style, I also get my hair coloured by Jackie she always gives me a fresh and unique colour. I would highly recommend Caroline and Jackie as I always feel fabulous when I leave.

Partickular Sat 01-Feb-14 10:34:16

My experience of Tina Reilly is that it's fantastic, reasonably priced, friendly staff, nice neighbourhood feel and most importantly good cuts and have never been unhappy with the colour.

Happychick1234 Wed 16-Apr-14 16:52:24

Just wanted to thank the girls who recommended Cheryl at Byers & Birrell. Was searching for somewhere new and came across this thread. Just back and love my hair cut. Cheryl is lovely, great advice, nice salon and very efficient service. smile

Evelyn14 Wed 30-Jul-14 09:24:42

I used this discussion thread to find a hairdresser in Glasgow. I moved back here almost a year ago and after two disastrous cuts, went back to my old hairdresser (a long journey!). I found this discussion very useful and tried Cresswell's yesterday. Am delighted with the cut, have already had many compliments and will definitely be a repeat customer. Thanks very much for the recommendation!

Magstar83 Tue 12-Aug-14 21:15:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now