want to rant about unhelpful parents

(9 Posts)
giggly Tue 11-Oct-11 22:10:20

Can someone please tell me why so many parents are uninterested in helping even a small amount of time with school projects and events.

I will not buy the to busy line as I work and have one at school and a toddler and still manage to take an interest and help with events even if only for an hour. My dh works shifts and we still manage. Apart from those lone parent families with no childcare why will parents not even try to make a contribution.

Our school runs discos and trying to get parents to help out is a fucking nightmare. Obviously fine to send their kids if someone else gives up their night/family time to help out.
Are people just generally so self centered or just cant be bothered?

bethelbeth Wed 12-Oct-11 00:45:43

I'm somebody who'd like to think that I'm generous with my time, and dd is only a toddler so school parties are a while off yet but here's my tuppence worth:

I have literally just moved to suburbia, thinking that there would be loads of children for dd to play with during the day etc and in theory there is- we have about 30 kids living on our street- but there is no kids around at weekends or daytimes because the parents all work and literally seem to have every minute accounted for. The kids are all at nursery or with their grandparents.

If I were in that situation I couldn't promise that I would be as generous with my time either.

giggly Wed 12-Oct-11 23:47:21

Thanks beth, you see that seems to be part of the problem.I know that a huge amount of parents work, I do to as does my dh but still I can manage to help out at discos, fayres etc even if its only a few times a year. But it seems to me that so many parents expect fun activities for their kids but dont make any sacrifices to help.
I dont undersatnd such apathy.

Nyx Sun 16-Oct-11 14:56:24

I don't know. I have great admiration for anybody on a parent council/pta etc, and also for those who do go along to things and help. I work part time, so haven't as much time as I would like.

However, I haven't spoken to anybody about helping/joining stuff - I think I am shy! This has taken me by surprise, as I'm not normally that shy. I see those - or at least one of those - who do stuff at the school DD goes to, and if she were to approach me and speak to me, I might be persuaded to help at something. But I don't feel I can approach her. I think that speaking to people might be a better idea than sending notes home in the schoolbag.

If I were younger, I might be more involved. If I didn't work, I would definitely get involved in at least some things.

I just wish I knew more people. Then I would probably be happy to be more involved. I hardly know anyone round here, and nobody at all to have a coffee with etc, so I would feel strange going to a meeting and making suggestions and stuff. Not that I have loads of suggestions to make!

giggly Mon 24-Oct-11 00:03:44

sorry for not responding Nyx but went of on holiday. Believe me I feel very strange going into a meeting and offering suggestions.
I have approached some parents at the gates with much stomach churning only to be told their not interested. Kind of puts me of doing it again. You could contact head teacher who would act as a go between I'm sure.
Now if only i could find out what school without outing myselfwink

margerykemp Mon 24-Oct-11 00:13:39

I used to do stuff but the bitchyness wasnt worth it.

vinegarpuss Mon 24-Oct-11 21:27:15

agreed margery I joined the ptc but left after only 3 meetings, felt like a spare thumb. Cliquey doesn't describe it.

macsaid Tue 25-Oct-11 09:25:57

the next generation will not have problems joining committees etc because they will all be confident individuals, responsible citizens and effective contributors.
right?

vinegarpuss Tue 25-Oct-11 21:58:50

aye right - until the next educational bandwagon rolls up

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfBgImjQDhw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now