Has anyone been to the Forgotten Island yet?

(9 Posts)
suzikettles Fri 15-Jul-11 14:29:41

I was at the Riverside today with a friend and our dcs (both 4) and we took a walk along to have a look but balked slightly at the prices (£6 per adult, £4.50 per child).

We wouldn't have enough time to do those sorts of prices it justice today anyway, but it's not really clear from the website exactly what it involves. Not enough for me to decide whether it's worth going back anyway.

Anyone been? Is it worth the money? Is there enough that a 4 year old would enjoy or is it more for older children?

I've already slightly taken against it, completely unreasonably, because of a weird pricing anomaly which means that 3 & 4 year olds cost more than 5s and over - you get a 50p discount (I know, big whoops, I told you IWBU) if you have a KIDZ card but you can't get one of them until the dc is 5.

prettybird Sat 16-Jul-11 10:33:50

This is extracted from a Twitter question I asked of someone I knew had gone: "it's better for smaller kids I'd say altho [son] enjoyed it. Not sure if it'd be worth full price entry. We got in free."

[son] in question is 11/12 - slightly older than my ds, as I was asking whether he would enjoy it. Other child is about 7 or 8. They got in free 'cos it was the first few days and I mentioned to him that if he got there early the first 50 got in free. He threatened to get the kids up at 6!

suzikettles Sat 16-Jul-11 12:04:17

Thanks prettybird.

I think I'll give it a go if we can find a day with decent weather - Aitch had a good report of it too and there looked to be fun going on when we were walking past (although it wasn't clear whether it was the sort of fun that could just as easily be had with a bunch of friends anywhere) .

Do let me know what you thought if you end up going.

Anyone else visited?

Geordieminx Sat 16-Jul-11 18:08:29

We went past today, didn't go in as weather wasnt up to much. I think on a nice day it would probably be good, especially if you take a wee picnic and let them run round like daftys.

On a side note, we went to transport museum, there was a gala thing on so vat park was full... We were directed to SECC, where we got charged £6! Was royally pissed off.

Wasn't really impressed with new transport museum, but then again ds is only 4 and doesnt really get the "that car is older then mummy" type thing.

On reflection we probably would have been better taking him to island place... Or Arnold Clarke wink

suzikettles Sat 16-Jul-11 20:21:53

I think the transport museum will be vastly improved when things calm down and it's less busy. Kelvingrove was the same for the first few months.

If you're going again, try parking on one of the streets around Yorkhill or Partick Station. We've been 3 times now (live 10 mins walk away) and the car park has always been full but there have been plenty of spaces on the streets as we were walking down there and then it's a short walk across the Express Way by tunnel or bridge. Even if you parked at the old transport museum at the Kelvin Hall you'd only be 10 mins away on foot. SECC parking is an almighty rip off.

Tbh, if you can use public transport to Partick then you'll save yourself a lot of trouble. The car park is really very small.

Geordieminx Sat 16-Jul-11 20:25:19

We are in south lanarkshire so public transport would be a bit of an arse.

Am a bit grumpy, as it ended up being pretty rubbish (and not cheap) day out... Had the same last week when we went to the tall ships at Greenock..£15 for park and ride shock

suzikettles Sat 16-Jul-11 20:30:45

Yeah, it's not really a day out for us as it's so close so it's no problem for us to pop down for an hour, get an icecream from the van and then back home. I think that's about as far as my interest in transport stretches grin

Esfahan Tue 19-Jul-11 07:22:11

We went - for free. I think it's pricey for what it is - given the activities for kids are limited - but it's nicely done inside (although no real shade on a hot day/cover when raining - except umbrellas they have provided) BUT DD (4) loved it and wants to go back - so we probably will. Staff are very nice - and its easy to let the kids wander about and still keep an eye on them.

giraffesCantZumba Tue 19-Jul-11 23:07:52

Will prob wait a while to go to museum then!

Island thing sounds good for planting/model making etc. But seems too much really.

If its indoors I wouldnt mind paying but outdoors so much to do in various parks etc and free indoors stuff anyway - library events, hamleys, free swimming etc.

Might go to tollcross tomorrow, the weather is that unpredicatable way though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now