School outfitters

(8 Posts)
pixiepixel Mon 04-Jul-11 19:37:09

My DC go to a private school in Glasgow and as such need a very specific uniform with each item dictated by the school. So far we have used Mans World in Byres Road and yes they have been super. I found however there are various others that are considerably cheaper, such as Campbells, RW Stevens, Setschoolwear in Paisley, Baru, all of whom appear to stock our school. I just wonder what the difference in price means. Does it mean items are of inferior quality elsewhere or do they all come from one manufacturer (anyone could make a 'myrtle green blazer' or a 'mid grey 8 box pleat skirt below the knees'). Or does it mean MW have superior service or are popular for some other reason?

We have to get everything exept basic shirts, socks/tights and shoes in specific makes, and the PE kits, so the costs mount up.

headlikeasieve Tue 05-Jul-11 10:30:37

I wondered the same thing and thought it might be because mansworld are 'approved' by the schools and they know they can charge more because thats where parents are supposed to go. You make an interesting point about the manufacturers, I'd bet they are the same as I don't think it's an area where it would be feasible to set up in competition to make a few hundred blazers each year but the only way to know for sure is to look at labels I guess. We just went to mansworld for skirts, tie, blazer and pe skirt but will go to marks for socks/tights and shirts and shop around for shoes as dd is too big for clarks now.

headlikeasieve Tue 05-Jul-11 10:32:16

can you tell I was on the phone when I typed the above? supposed=told, pe skirt=pe kit

pixiepixel3 Tue 12-Jul-11 17:28:28

Well our school seem not too bothered where we shop as long as everything is the right colour and basic style and the blazer has the badge. I wonder if parents are aware other outfitters exist.

prettybird Tue 12-Jul-11 19:46:22

We've used RW Stevens for kilt hire and accoutrements and dh used them for school stuff when he went to school aeons ago - still the same guys. He has always been very impressed with them and they do give an excellent personal service.

JennyPiccolo Thu 14-Jul-11 22:41:35

i went to private school and it was either Man's World or Campbells for uniform so can't imagine there's any difference. Suppose it might depend on the school?

scotchbroth2 Fri 22-Jul-11 22:05:25

I'm interested as well as we are looking into private schools for DD. What school was that JennyPiccolo? We are looking at HG or maybe GA.

KristinaM Sat 23-Jul-11 21:10:11

If it's myrtle green it must be st aloysius college

I suppose you could get the blazer elsewhere but younwoudl need to get the crest and sew it on the pocket

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now