11 year old excluded from school for calling his teacher an idiot on facebook

(6 Posts)
Blottedcopybook Tue 21-Jun-11 14:20:42

I'm interested to see what anyone else thinks of this. The facebook page is here

Basically, this kid Jamie was asked something on his own facebook page to which the response was, "It's just my teacher being an idiot". The reaction from Crosshouse Primary in EK was to suspend him, ban him from attending his transition day to secondary school and report him to the police!

BeerTricksPotter Tue 21-Jun-11 14:33:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wotifnotwotz Tue 21-Jun-11 14:38:53

Should 11 year olds be on Facebook?
Hoes does Facebook define, regulate freedom of speech?
What is the difference between posting the teacher is an idiot or saying it to a teachers face. Is there be a difference?
If a child at school said this to the teacher, or the teacher overheard it in conversation, what action would the school take then?
Why have they reported him to the police?
I don't like Facebook, it's rubbish.

ryansmum1 Tue 21-Jun-11 17:17:49

Not sure setting up a facebook page to publicise it is a good idea.I'd like to know If there is more to it. I'm a teacher and find there's often more to a story even when they seem straightforward smile

sb6699 Tue 21-Jun-11 19:04:18

If there isnt more to the story (which I doubt),then the punishment is way OTT and reporting it to the police is lunacy.

However I'm not sure that the way the story is being publicized is helpful - it seems like giving the message the children can do whatever they like and if they dont like the punishment they dont need to worry as their parents will cause uproar.

Blottedcopybook Tue 21-Jun-11 19:13:53

It's a really strange one. I'm slightly more interested in it than I'd normally be because my eldest was supposed to go there, but we moved away from the area 2 weeks before term started and he went to a different school.

As for kids on facebook, my eldest is 10 and he doesn't have an account but his friends do. I'm not sure what I'll say if/when he asks. I'm massively uncomfortable with some of the apps that post lewd stuff onto your page, you see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now