hillhead p1s

(34 Posts)
kirmcc Wed 18-May-11 18:27:55

i remember from a previous thread that there are a few people in here who have a dd/ds going into p1 at hillhead after the summer and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about visits?

most of my friends have wee ones going into p1s in other schools across the city and they have had at least one visit which i know will be hard seeing as i don't think the school is ready for that (could be wrong though)

just beginning to worry a bit i guess, as ds is asking all the questions that i don't have the answers to and i don't want him to worry about the lack of answerssmile

anyone know more than me?

thanks

suzikettles Wed 18-May-11 21:23:15

No, sorry. But I keep meaning to phone the school to ask. Will do tomorrow and post any findings on here.

We're going on holiday in a couple of weeks so sod's law says it will be then of course.

Apparently the p1s will start on the Wednesday of the first week back (17th Aug). That's my one piece of information!

AitchTwoOh Wed 18-May-11 21:29:55

i know that the rumour amongst nursery mums is that there is a good chance that it just won't be ready...

we should have a meet up, btw, now that the weather is nicer (ha). met weegiemum today, was v enjoyable, and am now firmly in the MOOD for meetups.

midnightexpress Wed 18-May-11 21:36:44

We're in South Lanarkshire, but had our 1st p1 induction day today. I know that they have only just found out about placing requests here though, so perhaps that has caused a delay, along with the new build?

I'd phone them up and ask them.

'Now that the weather is nicer'. ROFL.

<black despair at prospect of a whole summer of THIS>

kirmcc Wed 18-May-11 21:56:28

according to dds school info letter, the head teacher has visited the new school and looks lovely and will be open in time for august but we were given a start date of friday 19th august- getting two additional days because its opening or something- would that mean the p1s would be going in when the rest of the school aren't there?

and yeah meet ups would be goodsmile

AitchTwoOh Wed 18-May-11 22:01:33

lol at two extra days... wtf difference does it make that it's just been built? what utter bullshit, it was supposed to be finished in february of this year. grin

kirmcc Wed 18-May-11 22:07:12

i was more- going back to school for one day wtf?? smile

AitchTwoOh Wed 18-May-11 22:17:21

oh yes, that too. i bet they're shitting themselves, it doesn't look finished.

kirmcc Wed 18-May-11 22:48:40

not been near it to have a proper look-

the least they could do is get the uniform organised though- so i can figure out how much its going to cost me smile or start getting bits in just now

AitchTwoOh Wed 18-May-11 22:50:50

is the offer of the dictionaries etc still open btw? i need to buy some soon if not.

suzikettles Thu 19-May-11 00:24:57

Oh fgs. We've had no letter and my friend phoned them 2 weeks ago about start dates because she has to book holidays from work and was told the 17th.

Will definitely phone them tomorrow then but assume that anything they tell me is subject to change.

It's what, 6 weeks ish to the school holidays? I guess there's 3 months for the builders to do their stuff but I wouldn't fancy being a teacher there this year.

kirmcc Thu 19-May-11 10:36:06

i phoned them and they don't seem to have any ideasad

she said they are waiting for the depute(not sure if thats what she said but something like that smile) to get back to them. i asked if they are likely to see the school before the summer and again she had no answer.

however she did say that the order forms for the uniform are getting sent out soonsmile

suzikettles Thu 19-May-11 10:43:59

Yes - same here. Apparently a letter will be sent out in the next "week or two"... [none the wiser]

Oh well.

I'm casting back into the mists of time and trying to remember if there were any settling in sessions or the like when I started primary. My memory tells me that my mum just turned up at the school with me at 10 to 9, trilled "have a lovely day at school" and went off down the village for a coffee with her mates, but it was probably more complicated than that.

AitchTwoOh Thu 19-May-11 10:52:22

it wasn't.

suzikettles Thu 19-May-11 11:06:51

Ach well then. I'll stop worrying. I guess he's got 7 years to get used to the school.

We should have a meet up on the first day of school to celebrate 70s parenting.

AitchTwoOh Thu 19-May-11 11:28:02

hehehe...

NormanTebbit Thu 19-May-11 11:50:11

Actually when Dd1 started a few years ago, their school visit was very close to the end of term. I guess they are very busy, working out the move. It will happen, I guess you just have to be patient. Also, they only finalised pupil numbers a few weeks ago, and i guess they are looking at staff numbers etc. Perhaps they are working out who the P1 teachers will be. Amalgamating three schools, staff and management team must be a logistical nightmare. They are apparently on track for August opening though.

Anyway, the school look great doesn't it. Apparently there is a platform classroom over the river, and everything is top spec. Parents are currently working with the council on safe routes to school and it looks like we're getting a crossing on Kelvin Way and various lollipop people.

We are sooo lucky to get this building. It's going to be great.

NormanTebbit Thu 19-May-11 11:53:34

Oh and the uniform is bottle green and grey, that's the rumour. The kids wanted shirts and ties and blazers - parents not so keen grin

kirmcc Thu 19-May-11 15:40:20

not actually had a proper look at the school yet- might have to take wander through the park to have a proper noseysmile

timbuktutu Thu 19-May-11 21:43:43

My dd is starting p1 in august. She's the only one from her nursery going to hillhead (placement request) so I'd be really keen to come along to some meet-ups over the summer. We are going away in June so will probably miss any open day.

We went and had a peek last weekend and it still looks quite a way from being finished! Does look really lovely though and such a fantastic location.

kirmcc Fri 03-Jun-11 10:40:09

yay got the letter todaysmile

was getting worried there lol

AitchTwoOh Fri 03-Jun-11 10:50:49

kirmcc... i am going to pin you to the wall and get those dictionaries off you soon. not today, though, for although am going schoolwards i am off CAMPING immediately thereafter and will have no room n the car. hooray!

NormanTebbit Fri 03-Jun-11 18:12:38

Letter today and if you look at www.schoolinthepark.org you can see the school uniform too, although the badge isn't ready yet.

NormanTebbit Fri 03-Jun-11 18:16:45

sorry wrong site, this is the right one

suzikettles Fri 03-Jun-11 18:24:03

Looks like it's starting to come together (fingers x'd!)

We're going on holiday on Sunday so need to get the order form off before we go.

Those of you with older children, how many sweatshirts/polo shirts do you think I'll need?

I was thinking of ordering 2 of each for now and supplement with unbadged from the shop as ds is usually a midden by the end of the day.

These school things are usually synthetic-tastic though aren't they, so would probably dry overnight if necessary.

Will probably get a fleece and a back pack too as they're an ok price and will need to buy anyway.

My wee boy! <sob>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now