Bishopbriggs?

(10 Posts)
NumptyMum Sat 14-May-11 00:03:22

Hi - anyone on here know anything about life in Bishopbriggs? I used to work there (Westerhill Road, so not exactly anywhere close to anything) so have a rough idea of the place, but we're thinking about moving and it's one area we're looking at. We've got young kids (3.5yrs and a 10.5mo) and I know their concerns will be how good the playparks are as we've got 2 great ones where we live just now... I'm also wondering about the transition from tenements/walking most places to going somewhere that people generally drive, ie will we feel cut off?

Any thoughts very welcome!

NumptyMum Sat 14-May-11 10:35:56

Bumping this while it's daytime in the hope that someone might see it!

NumptyMum Sat 14-May-11 18:54:16

No-one?

NumptyMum Sat 14-May-11 19:22:17

Are there NO people from Bishopbriggs here? Please?!

bethelbeth Sat 14-May-11 19:51:43

My Grandparents live here, it is very quiet and I think that there are a few parks but it's not a place that is really geared towards children. It tends to have an older population- but of course this is being phased out by more families looking for the decent commute/garden/house size.

If you are quite happy with your own space you'll love it but if you thrive on hustle and bustle then it's not for you.

NumptyMum Sun 15-May-11 08:08:06

A reply! Thank you so much smile. I was wondering that - I don't mind my own space, but it would be nice for the kids to have other kids to play with that they don't require driving in order to visit them iyswim.

Now DH has thrown Torrance into the mix as it's cheaper...

bethelbeth Sun 15-May-11 19:27:42

Lol no problem... it's obviously not full of mums hence no mumsnet response!

We visit fairly often and from what I can fathom the schools are ok, there's local shops and cafes etc. It is quiet though.

Might be a long shot but have you considered East Kilbride? There are good parts and bad parts of it, but if you're looking for decent sized houses that look onto playing greens and there's looooads of kids- it's quite nice to see them all playing outside instead of just in gardens.
Facilities are quite good and it's a 20- 30 min drive from town. Or there's regular buses and trains so that you don't have to rely on car.

NumptyMum Sun 15-May-11 21:19:05

Trouble is my other half doesn't drive, and we both work in the north of the city (Springburn for him, Anniesland for me) - so for him it's an easy cycle from Bishopbriggs; plus I do know the north of the city a little, and have friends who live in Lenzie. I think we'll stick with north of the river for now but thanks for the suggestion smile.

letsgetloud Sun 15-May-11 22:56:44

Hi My friend lives in a new housing estate in bishopbriggs. Well was built maybe 7 years ago. There are actually a couple of new housing estates there now. Always loads of kids playing out and all her neighbours have young children.

Houses in her estate are lovely as room sizes very generous. I can't remember what company built them but she lives in Miller Walk.

Do neither of you drive? Only asking as not sure how close the new housing estates are to train stations. Not sure you could get anywhere really from hers without driving.

Hopefully someone who actually lives there will come on with info about Bishopbriggs.

monkeybananas Fri 29-Jul-11 22:12:06

Did you move yet??
I grew up in Bishopbriggs, moved to the Southside when I got married 6 years ago but moved back last August with DS who will be 2 soon.
I love it here, public transport good, lots of parks, good sports centre and loads of toddlers groups etc.
Shout if you want more info. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now