East Kilbride as an area?

(23 Posts)
Elainerob Fri 25-Mar-11 19:46:48

Does anyone know what East Kilbride is like for families? I am expecting my first baby in September, and we need to move from our one bedroom flat in the Southside. Would like to move to a nice area and get a house with a garden. Was looking at Clarkston, which is lovely, but our budget doesn't stretch very far there! Someone suggested we'd get a lot more for our money in East Kilbride - does anyone know this area? Any views, biased included, are welcome! Many Thanks

MeRightYouWrongMeBigYouSmall Fri 25-Mar-11 21:10:04

I was born and brought up in East Kilbride, I'm 29 and I've lived in Cheshire now for 3 years but all my family still live in EK

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Mahoosive shoppping centre, people are friendly - you get idiots in every place though IMO, good public transport, many schools have been knocked down since I was there though, not sure whether they have all been replaced.

What ele would you like to know?

CURLYMAMMA Fri 25-Mar-11 21:12:35

I'd go for Eaglesham before East Kilbride. Better schools.

MeRightYouWrongMeBigYouSmall Fri 25-Mar-11 21:15:25

Eaglesham, yes - but the OP was on about budgets, she'd probably get more for her money in EK - as Easglesham is quite rural in places and the prices reflect that

EKlass Fri 25-Mar-11 21:24:00

I live in EK and have been here for 5 years. I think the transport links from EK are probably better than Eaglesham (well, on a train line at least). We too looked at other parts of the Southside but settled on EK as you do definitely get more for your money. I think the other older areas might have more soul and look better than EK though.

I stay in Stewartfield and can walk most places (like to the town centre) and I like that. I think the schools are ok though don't have the same reputation as ones in East Renfrewshire. My dc aren't old enough yet to have tested them out! hth

geordieminx Fri 25-Mar-11 21:26:27

I live in uddingston but spend a fair amount of time up there, lovely shopping centre, calderglen park, some nice restaurants. It's quite a big area, there are nice bits.. Think around the village and out towards stewartfield are good?

Certainly good for families. Would also look at cambuslang,rutherglen,uddingston?

KristinaM Fri 25-Mar-11 21:26:46

Me right -Ek has 3 brand new secondaries and lots of new primary schools. Variable reputations but not as good as east renfrewshire

Stamperland is cheaper than clarkston and schools there are excellent

MeRightYouWrongMeBigYouSmall Fri 25-Mar-11 21:29:22

geordieminx - near Viewpark?

MeRightYouWrongMeBigYouSmall Fri 25-Mar-11 21:30:35

Kristina - I've only noticed the new college next to the bowling - where are the secondaries?

I went to Ballerup, has that been rebuilt?

colette Fri 25-Mar-11 21:31:13

My friend moved from the southside to EK about 4 years ago in order to get a house rather than a flat, however she finds it quite cut off and misses being able to walk to different areas . She has very little going on near her - just one big housing estate

geordieminx Fri 25-Mar-11 21:34:42

Not far from Viewpark but far enough grin

MeRightYouWrongMeBigYouSmall Fri 25-Mar-11 21:37:04

grin geordieminx - i spent my teenage years with a load of nasties boys from Viewpark, totally different world!

geordieminx Fri 25-Mar-11 21:43:03

I don't think it's as bad these days, a lot of the homes have been bought privately.

MeRightYouWrongMeBigYouSmall Fri 25-Mar-11 21:46:27

geordie - you can't polish a turd grin

darleneconnor Fri 25-Mar-11 21:50:31

You would def want 2 cars if you lived there. Good for kids but a lack of pubs/restaurants/nightlife.

One of the catholic high schools there used to be one of the best in scotland but it has now been merged with a low league table school.

KristinaM Sat 26-Mar-11 09:15:27

Me right -Claremont and Hunter Highs merged in 2008 to become the new Calderglen high school

Ballerup is closed and duncamrigg got a new building about 3 years ago too

St Andrews and st brides merged to become ...well... St Andrews and st brides ( I know, you'd think they could have found a one saint to agree on)

Calderglens reputation is rising, apparently the new HT is pushing hard. Apparently The parents love him and the complacent old style staff hate him grin

bethelbeth Sun 27-Mar-11 02:31:48

I grew up in EK. Good memories, plenty of green space and freedom as you could play in the woods at Calderglen one day or go swimming at the Dollan Baths the next... quite varied.

The 'locals' can be a bit hmm there are good and bad areas. The new areas like Stewartfield tend to be quite popular but the public transport isn't great.
Calderwood has a nicer end and a not nice end so it's worth keeping in mind.

I went to the pre-merged Calderglen Academy. I can vouch that the teachers who moved there were fabulous (they've got rid of all the old horrors.) and the extra curricular activities seem to be great.

Bus and train service are both quite good and regular depending on which area you move to.

Elainerob Tue 29-Mar-11 21:13:24

Thank you everyone for your advice and comments, it's great to hear from people who know the area. Still undecided about where to live, I'm sure it'll work out

queenebay Tue 17-May-11 09:43:43

I live here and love it. Been here 15 years now. Schools are great, we are on bus route, town centre is 5 mins away, supermarkets are short ride away.
Only thing is I did find it was quite cliquey, took me ages to make friends with people as i found people had kept their friends from school.
We bought ex local authority house and its great, really big and large garden. Much bigger than the houses you get in stewartfield and Lindsayfieild for less money

tallulahxhunny Tue 17-May-11 16:24:47

I moved from belfast to East kilbride 5 years ago, i stayed there 3 years then moved to southside. I loved east kilbride!! i have 2 children then aged 3yrs and 2 yrs I found it really easy to get around (but i drive) I would move back there in a heartbeat, i lived in sycamore place. Lovely area with great neighbours. i would recommend it to anyone!

SusanneLinder Wed 18-May-11 13:37:08

I also live in East Kilbride, been here for 10 years and love it.DH is EK born and bred. I also live in an ex EK development house (hardly any houses in EK were ever ACTUALLY council houses smile. I was also a "soo-sider," and to be honest, I love it so much here, the thought of living in Glasgow again (or even going in there) brings me out in hives. Too many people,too busy. Wide open spaces up here (mostly).

Bad Stuff about EK-there are pockets of Ek, I wouldn't live in.Parts of Calderwood,Greenhills,Westwood and The Murray.These only apply to streets though,not the whole area. I live in one of these "areas", and never had any problems. The town centre is not as it used to be,due to recession.They need to sort the Stuart Hotel at the bus station.This has been promised though.Oh and the roundabouts...lol. But means traffic flows a bit freer,unless you try the Whirlies at 8.30am. smile

Good stuff about EK-even with the new schools, they are fine.Pretty high up the league tables. 2 of my 3 DD's were at Duncanrig, my youngest is at St Andrew's St Bride's (long personal story which is irrelevant).Both good schools, and I know the Head at Duncanrig, and he runs with an iron rod.smile One of my girls is at Uni,as are there friends, and my 2nd DD is going this year.Transport is great, and easy to get everywhere.Unless you buy a new build,you get a lot of house for your money here.Lots to do, and you aren't far from countryside. Everything makes the EK news. If someone gets wing mirrors broken from cars,it makes the EK news! Very strong on Anti Social Behaviour here.

Yes East Renfrewshire schools usually perform slightly better,but they are quite oversubscribed. Someone mentioned Stamperland.I always thought it was a good area until DD went riding with some people from Clarkston/Busby area, and lets say,it isn't as good as it used to be unfortunately.

Tallulahxhunny-I am about 5-10 minutes walk from you! smile

Blottedcopybook Sat 11-Jun-11 21:19:03

I'm in Calderwood (near the shops, so the nice end!) - moved here with my hubby and we've been here five years now. It's just a brilliant place to raise a family to be honest, lovely neighbours and a very everyone-knows-everyone environment.

Someone mentioned schools - the schools may not perform as well as East Renfrewshire but last year's league tables had Calderglen performing on a par with Jordanhill, which was the best-performing school in Glasgow. I'm happy to take that!

SilkySilky Sun 19-Jun-11 09:37:29

Moved from Queens Park flat to Stewartfield EK to get a driveway and wee garden. Great town to raise kids with ice rink, cinema, parks and big shops. Primary schools rebuilt and seem good. Plenty 3 bed houses for sale in Stewartfied and knock 10k off asking price as a buyers market.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now