Who will take toys and games in good condition?

(10 Posts)
AgentProvocateur Sun 05-Dec-10 16:13:18

I've been having a clear-out and I have loads of toys, games, books, sets of Top Trumps etc in great condition.

I could take them to a charity shop, but I remember when I was small, we wrapped up toys etc and took them to George Square, where presumably they were distributed to children who would otherwise not get anything at Christmas.

The other thing is, I am very short of time. I am doing extra hours at work, and have people staying each weekend between now and Christmas, so I want to take them all to the one place.

Is there any organisation that would take these things and distribute them as they see fit?

AgentProvocateur Sun 05-Dec-10 18:53:38

Anyone?

Nyx Sun 05-Dec-10 19:06:08

Hi there. I've not donated toys before but have been discussing this with folk at work. We came up with -

Toys could be given to a local hospital (eg the children's hospital);

Women’s refuges - find the number of your local Domestic Violence service online or contact a Women’s Aid line, to offer your help through your used toy donation; or

Ask Your Local Church - if you do not know where to donate toys, ask your local church if they know of families who could benefit from your unwanted toys.

Hope this helps! Well done - I have never been able to donate toys to anywhere as DD has generally wrecked them by the time she's finished with them.

Nyx Sun 05-Dec-10 19:06:50

WHY did I put initial capitals on 'your local Church'? D'oh. blush

AitchTwoOh Sun 05-Dec-10 19:16:43

i bet the refugee council would take them, agent.

CommanderDrool Sun 05-Dec-10 19:26:57

Is there a toddler group near you? Or is your school/nursery having a winter fair?

frasersmummy Sun 05-Dec-10 19:28:17

The salvation army will be mightly glad this time of year

AgentProvocateur Sun 05-Dec-10 19:38:59

Thanks, all.

They're toys/puzzles/airfix models etc for older kids, which is why I thought they might be useful.

I used to work with asyluym seeking familes, and the younger children usually got presents from Santa at school and community groups, but the older ones and teenagers often got nothing, so the Refugee Council is a good idea.

I'll start there, and move on to church / Sally Army and Women's Aid.

Thanks, everyone.

AitchTwoOh Sun 05-Dec-10 21:04:07

i like them because i just think 'oh my GOD imagine pitching up in some other country without a single thing that is YOURS?'. it's inconceivable, really.

AnnaHill Wed 05-Nov-14 16:15:50

Sell them on Snugly. It's a mobile app where parents sell and buy kids' stuff locally directly from each other. The app charges no fees whatsoever. Good luck! www.snugly.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now