Any other pregnant ladies out there ?...

(121 Posts)
mibbes Fri 01-Aug-08 19:51:41

Are there any pregnant ladies from the Falkirk area out there ? I am due DC1 in Dec 08, I live in Larbert and would love to chat to other mums/mums-to-be in the area.
Am looking for classes for pregnancy exercise that don't run during the day when I'm at work - aquanatal, yoga, anything really ! Anyone know of any ?
Also keen to hear about NCT classes locally - are they worth it ?
Anybody out there...?

Joj26 Sun 21-Sep-08 23:24:14

Cheers for the offer of a lift, I have the car in the afternoon now but as I may be coming straight from a meeting then probably best if we meet there- providing I don't get lost blush. I guess it should be easy enough for us to work out who each other is given the big, fat preggie bellies! Assuming there is a foyer entrance I will wait there for you. Will check on here tomorrow to make sure it is still on if you get hold of them.

Joj26 Sun 21-Sep-08 23:27:13

Just had a look online and can find Erskine St on the map but no reference to a community centre. Do you know exactly what it is called? Cheers

mibbes Mon 22-Sep-08 22:20:53

I have had my SIL on the case and she has found out that the place is Alloa Old Peoples Welfare Club Hall, Erskine Street. Apparently we have to call Lime tree House to book classes, so I'll to do that in the morning and let you know how I get on.
Here is a map: map
I'll be leaving with plenty of time to spare as I expect to get lost as I don't know Alloa very well !

Joj26 Mon 22-Sep-08 23:15:08

excellent, I'm moving about as fast as an old person at the minute so that should suit fine!
Ok, will check on here tomorrow for update.

mibbes Tue 23-Sep-08 13:28:53

Right, well I have spent ages on the phone this morning and Lime Tree House and Greenfield house know nothing about these classess so they are clearly not council run. I can't get hold of a number for the Old people welfare hall (and suspect they may not know that much about it anyway as it will be some independent yoga person who just hires the hall). I am going to go along and give it a go anyway as I have my stuff with me so am going straight from work. I'll feel really responsible if you make the effort to go and we are turned away because we needed to book or because we are not experienced (I am certainly not anyway !), so if you'd rather I can go and try it out tonight and let you know how it goes for next week ? However, if you are still keen the exact directions are as follows:

you'll come in from the A907
go over r/bout and up Ring road
at Clackmannanshire r/bout, go right (Mar Place)
at next road (just at the leisure bowl) go up B908 Sunnyside road
at Hill St, go left
at Erskine St go left
the hall is down there

Who would've thought it could be so difficult to do some exercise when pregnant !

Joj26 Tue 23-Sep-08 13:49:20

Poor you, sounds like a nightmare hmm

I'll see how I feel at the end of the day, I have the car and stuff so may just come along to chance it anyway but have also been feeling quite rough the last couple of days (just a cold but seems to take it out on me a bit more just now ) so will see if am still tired after work.

Good luck if I don't see you there

mibbes Tue 23-Sep-08 14:08:50

Ok doke, hope you are feeling better soon. If you do go I'll have on dark grey bottoms and a light grey t-shirt/coral coloured jumper. There will be at least one other PG there besides me so wouldn't want you to start yapping to the wrong one !

mibbes Wed 24-Sep-08 09:29:55

Joj I really hope you didn't try to go last night and get lost ! I met my own expectations and got completely lost blush, eventually parked at Greenfield house and by complete coincidence bumped into my SIL's MIL who works there so she showed me where the hall is ! I was about to give up and go home ! It is tucked away in a resdential estate so not easy to find.

The class was good - very relaxing and not too challenging. there was one other pregnant girl there so she put us together and gave us alternative moves when the sequences were unsafe for us. We were able to do the vast majority of what the others did though so it was great. There are 2 weeks left in the current block (then a 2 week break) and you can pay per class (£6)
I'm definitely going back as I slept really well last night thanks to being so relaxed smile
I'll probably be going from Larbert next week as won't have the car at work so I can give you a lift if you want to come along.
I was thinking that during the 2 week break from the yoga I'll try out the aquanatal class in Cumbernauld - pity these things weren't on the go months ago !

Joj26 Wed 24-Sep-08 12:49:03

Sounds good, I can attend next week so will give it a go. Typical that there is a 2 week break though, aquanatal in interim sounds like a plan. By the time I got home last night I just wanted a hot bath, got into my jammies and slobbed on the sofa, feeling slightly better for it this morning but still not right, obviously can't take anything to help and now DH is in a mood as think I have passed it on to him, about time he suffered something though wink.

Been to hospital today for 3rd scan due to low lying placenta. Ended up having to have an internal scan which shows it has moved but not as much as they would like, so have to go back for another scan at 34 weeks. I'm not bleeding though which is a good sign. Really freaky seeing the baby though as was so clear, could see it lapping at the fluid and playing with its fingers.

There is a labour pain relief talk in the conference room 3 of the SRI tomorrow night at 7.30, which the midwife reckons is run by the anaesthetists and is probably worth a visit. I plan to go along if you fancy joining me?

mibbes Wed 24-Sep-08 15:47:03

Your scan sounds amazing - my 20 week scan was really clear so can't imagine how mega clear a 30 week scan is ! I take it you may end up with a section then if the placenta is going to be in the way ? Or is there enough room for baby to squeeze past it ?! I am still convinced will end up with a section due to baby lying transverse, apprently I need to get onto all fours and bounce on a gym ball to encourage him/her to shift into the head down position.

The pain relief seminar sounds really good, if you don't mind I will come along actually. Are you bringing your DH ? Am happy to leave DP behind as I think the thought of NCT AN classes is enough for him at the moment ! I am happy to drive us there, or you could pick me up at the train station as I live a few mins from there, whatever suits you best.

conkertree Wed 24-Sep-08 16:13:36

since i am hanging around reading your thread, i will pop on and add in my tuppence worth.

the alloa class sounds good - shame i cant go to the swimming till 16 weeks cause you lot will probably be back at the yoga by then - but you can let me know if you think the aquanatal is worth going to.

Joj26 Wed 24-Sep-08 16:43:43

It was pretty amazing Worst case scenario is c-section but if it moves even a little bit more then it should be able to squeeze past shock Apparently there are 4 grades of praevia and I am moving up the chart away from the worst so it is progress, fingers crossed it will keep improving over the next 9 1/2 weeks!

I tend to sit on a gym ball, leaning forward onto the back of the sofa as have found that the only real comfy way to encourage baby forward (even if it does mean DH rearranging living room furniture wink)

DH would need pain relief to sit through a pain relief seminar so going it alone. I can pick you up at the station if you like - what side? Suggest about 6.45 to allow for time to find parking space and conference room or am I being too cautious?

Conkertree, will def let you know how we get on.

mibbes Wed 24-Sep-08 22:17:54

Joj good news that placenta is on the move and you should be able to give labour a go ! I'll find out next week if my wee one has shifted, but judging by the kicks s/he is still transverse.

If you pick me up from outside the Estate Cafe opposite the train station (where the Clydesdale bank machine is) that'd be great. 6.45 is fine, gives us plenty of time and we will just look like keen beans if we are early wink

Conkertree, do you have a date for your first scan yet ? Do you fancy coming to the yoga ? I could ask if she'd be happy for you to come given you are still early on if you like ? I know a lot of exercise classes are supposed to be safer when you are past 12 weeks.

Joj26 Thu 25-Sep-08 09:36:21

No worries, will see you later - will be the fat bellied one driving a silver Civic. wink

conkertree Thu 25-Sep-08 14:10:55

thanks very much mibbes but dh works on a tuesday, and while i may be able to squeeze in the aquanatal class before he goes out, i wouldnt get to alloa and back in time.

first scan is 9th October - cant wait.

I had a low lying placenta too, but it had moved enough out of the way by the 30 week scan - your scan sounds much better than mine though - i couldnt really see much cause the baby was too much in the way iyswim. maybe it was lying in a bad position for viewing it - she printed off a picture but i still dont know which bit of the baby its of.

mibbes Mon 29-Sep-08 14:53:55

Oooh conkertree not long until scan - let us know how you get on and post pics wink

I had another bleed today so was up at SRI getting checked - all well but have to go back for more anti-D again later. Got a scan which was reassuring but not as obvious which bit is which at this stage - baby is measuring fine but still has a slightly big head compared to dates - yikes !

Joj did you leave your coat at the pain relief talk the other night ? I was talking to the guy that took the class when I was in triage (his wife was the triage MW today so he popped in and recognised me), he said the lady to the left of me left her coat...?

Joj26 Tue 30-Sep-08 16:34:39

Big head - oh dear. Glad all is well though, when do you go back?

I did, went up to get it on Sat though - mumnesia strikes again! Liking that he recognised I was a lady though!

cazzyg Fri 03-Oct-08 19:39:46

Hi,

I'm also in the Falkirk area and due in Dec. I was also at the pain relief talk last week. Haven't made it to any classes as by the time I'm home from work every night, it takes enough energy to cook dinner.

Is anyone going to the breastfeeding workshop in Stenhousemuir on the 13th?

mibbes Mon 06-Oct-08 14:00:23

Hi cazzyg, which lady were you at the pain relief talk ? There was a lady with a man to mine and Joj's right then another girl came in with her man and sat at the back.

When in Dec are you due ? where are you in the Falkirk area ? Is this your first ? Joj and I are going to try the aquanatal class in Cumbernauld next Tue if you fancy it ?

The BF workshop sounds good - I assume it is for pregnant ladies ? Is it during the day or in the evening ? I have a BF workshop on Thu with my NCT class but no harm in reinforcing any lessons learned as haven't a clue blush

Joj26 Tue 07-Oct-08 14:25:18

Hiya, not heard of the workshop - when, where and who is it run by? Should be about to give it a go as long as it is not the same person who did the BF workshop at my NCT class.

mibbes Tue 07-Oct-08 16:59:20

enjoy your quiz tonight Joj, I'll do a downward facing dog for you wink

cazzyg Wed 08-Oct-08 13:44:39

It's an NHS thing at the Health Centre in Stenhousemuir @ 11.30 - the midwife told me about it at my last check-up. I presume it's run by the midwives since they're giving out the information.

I came in lat and was a the back - I'm always late and hoping this baby won't take after me smile. I'm due on the 6th Dec, live in new carron and yes, this is my first.

Joj26 Wed 08-Oct-08 13:59:49

Well we came 2nd (beaten by 5 points, gutted ) Not that I could enjoy the prize of half bottle of vodka but it is the principal of it all!

Not sure I could make it Monday, having already had yesterday at home and now having to take Friday off too to wait delivery of cot - reality check shock.

Got referred to physio yesterday as my carpal tunnel syndrome seems to be getting worse. My wrist is quite painful most of the day and I have real issues in the morning trying to grip things - makes for interesting moments getting dressed

How did the yoga go Mibbes?

mibbes Wed 08-Oct-08 23:25:30

Joj yoga was good thanks, starts back 28th Oct. That is rubbish about carpal tunnel, are you wearing splints in bed yet ? I have a few friends who had it and it sounds flipping awful sad

cazzy pity the BF class is during the day as can't justify any more time off work. I am due 6th Dec too grin and just live up the road in Larbert.
If you fancy trying out aquanatal classes Joj and I are going to the new one in Cumbernauld on Tue night.

Joj26 Fri 10-Oct-08 11:29:14

The midwife did mention splints - said they were a bit of a passion killer - like that makes any difference just now though . Will just need to wait and see what physio says, hope they hurry up and get me an appt though as is def getting worse. DH is going to have to get me dressed in the mornings at this rate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now