Things to do for families in Mid-Devon

(10 Posts)
Drayford Wed 14-Oct-09 01:00:32

Hi Exeter Mnetters.

I run a holiday cottage business on my farm in mid-devon and as my children are now 16 and 18 I am very out of touch with family activities for younger families.

I want to create a list of good places to go for my holiday visitors and would welcome any suggestions - days out, restaurants, etc etc!!!

Thanks!!

Jux Wed 14-Oct-09 11:30:56

There's a very good Chinese called the Bird's Nest in Honiton High Street. They also do take-aways.

Also a cafe/bar/restaurant called 102. The food is fantastic and eclectic; the atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. Someone described it to me as 'bohemian'. There's a large garden too.

Also a Pottery Shop and Milkshake Bar. You can paint pottery upstairs, or make stuff, or use a wheel. TBH the food and service isn't that good, but it's OK; the main attraction is spending a rainy afternoon painting a piece of pottery (from plates/cups to fairies perched on a moon, dragons etc), which will be fired and sent on to you, unless you're here long enough to pick it up.

Fennel Wed 14-Oct-09 11:34:22

Which areas of mid Devon are you interested in? where's the farm?

Drayford Wed 14-Oct-09 13:45:46

I'm right in the heart of Devon, in the Witheridge, Tiverton & Crediton triangle.

I am interested in all areas of Devon as most of our visitors are more than happy to travel about a bit, particularly if the weather's not good.

I just feel a bit out of touch with things on offer for small children and don't like to recommend anything to our guests without any personal knowledge - hence posting this!

I'm particularly keen to hear about any child friendly restaurants/pubs and any slightly leftfield activities away from the usual Big Sheep, or Crealy sort of thing!

Fennel Wed 14-Oct-09 13:50:01

One of our favourites is Escot. very different from Crealy.

You maybe already know the obvious places - Miniature pony centre, diggerland, World of country life, soft play areas (Bearfoot in Newton Abbott, Rainbow fun house in Torquay).

Outdoor places, my dc like Stover country park, Decoy country park, Haldon forest park, Fingles bridge.

Tarka trail is great cycling for small chilren.

Child-friendly pubs. we like the ones along the Exe - Double Locks, Turf Locks. They have good playgrounds for children.

Drayford Thu 15-Oct-09 22:15:44

Thanks Fennel & Jux - much appreciated! I remember taking DC to the Turf when they were little (but they hated the walk!!!)

Any other suggestions very welcome - particularly restuarants or pubs that welcome and serve normal food to children (not just chicken nuggets!)

TwentiethCenturyHeffa Fri 16-Oct-09 10:27:12

There's the Waie Inn near Zeal Monachorum, it's a soft play place with a child friendly swimming pool.

I can second Fennel's recommendation of Escot, we love it there.

The Mythic Gardens isn't strictly a children's place but all the children I know love it - it's near Castle Drogo on the moor and is a big garden (national collection of beeches I think) full of sculptures.

We go to RHS Rosemoor a lot as well, near Great Torrington.

Drayford Tue 20-Oct-09 11:45:58

Thanks all - any more suggestions very welcome!!

drowninginclutter Sat 24-Oct-09 23:13:49

Downe's farm near Crediton does lovely Sunday lunches, has a climbing frame, ride on pedal tractors, big box of indoor toys, enough high chairs and you can feed the chickens.

I'd definitely reccomend Escot as well.

PootleTheFlump Sun 25-Oct-09 19:42:54

Apparently Escot has got a 2for1 offer on at the mo (saw it in the paper today - not checked myself!)

We love Haldon Forest, there is a 1.5 mile family path that is buggy friendly and has an adventure playground en route, you can hire bikes with trailers etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now