Moving to Exeter from the US..... need some help

(5 Posts)
Gibson69 Wed 08-Oct-14 00:49:26

I'm from the UK, spouse is American and 11yr old and 13yr old are very American. We are probably relocating to Exeter and need to know best area to settle with 2 loud American kids..... Kind of worried they will get bullied or feel like aliens from Mars. Company will pay for housing and possibly a private secondary school. I'm used to living in villages, not urban. Any ideas or more importantly "don't do this". We looked at the Exeter School but its hard to tell if its ok or if I am walking into world of Stepford wives. I'm from the north east. Spouse will be away alot. Help. But I miss the UK so much and I think the kids will benefit from being here in these key years vs California.

chocolatepizza Thu 16-Oct-14 12:27:00

There are quite a few private schools in the centre of Exeter, not just Exeter School. If you are worried about bullying/isolation issues, then I can recommend St Wilfrid's School. The son of an acquaintance of mine, who also relocated from the US, settled in there very quickly and came out at the end with a good set of GCSE results. It may be smaller than some of the other independents but as a result so are the classes and they seem to regularly get good results despite being non-selective. The friendly, hard-working staff also put on lots of extra activities. It might be worth a look.

MNExeterLocalEd Mon 20-Oct-14 20:57:46

Glad to hear you are coming to Exeter smile great choice!

RedAvenger Mon 20-Oct-14 20:59:40

Exeter School has an excellent reputation and several colleagues send their children there. Welcome (in due course) to Exeter!

donnawaters1 Mon 01-Dec-14 14:04:46

Hi, we are relocating to Exeter in the new year, have a 10yr old 7yr old and was crazy enough to squeeze one more in who is 7 months. Any help with things to do after school club wise and baby groups would be much appreciated. We nipped down for a visit at the weekend and it looks to be a fantastic place :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now