choice of maternity unit

(2 Posts)
vet32 Mon 29-Aug-11 09:14:15

Help! I'm pregnant for the first time and have to choose either Barnstaple or Exeter for my delivery. Haven't got a clue about either (am likely to need C section) - would appreciate any feedback (good & bad) about their maternity services. It didn't occur to me I'd have to make the decision so early!

AlmaMartyr Mon 29-Aug-11 09:31:53

I had an ELCS in Exeter May 2009 and it was great. They were very supportive, very helpful with breastfeeding (even set me up so I could co-sleep and BF in the hospital bed) and I was very happy.

My first DC was born in Exeter in 2008 and the postnatal care was less good but the birth itself was fine.

Depending on where you live some people are able to transfer from the main hospital to one of the midwife led units in Okehampton, Tiverton and Honiton. Not sure which of them are still operating - I know there was some threat that they would be closed or scaled down last year but I'm not sure what happened with that. I'm pretty sure Okehampton's still going and is a lovely place to be postnatally (I was there for a short while although couldn't transfer there easily because I had very high BP postnatally).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now