Devon in the sticks - mid to north. Anybody out there?

(201 Posts)
SuePurblybiltByElves Wed 17-Nov-10 22:30:54

See I know there must be Mnetters around but it seems to be a NM Mafia controlled area grin. I'm about 30 mins north of Okehampton, equal distances from Exeter and Barnstaple. Middle of nowhere but surrounded by villages full of mummies. Some of you must be Mnetters surely?

I do this thread once a year or so and forget it when it drops out of active so do PM me if you're local and willing to out yourself grin

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Wed 26-Sep-12 19:18:04

Ooh, sounds lush UniS! We rode that the other week with DS.

Sadly I'm away this weekend. Hope you enjoy it.

UniS Sun 23-Sep-12 22:46:05

Hello again devon mob. thought I'd flit by and catch up. What a lot of babies! and kids moving on to pre-school and school.

For any on in the Oke area may I invite you join a mums n kids bike ride next Saturday - Sept 29th. Exploring the western end of the Granite way. Its flat, traffic free and free to join in. All you need is a working bike. More details at http://www.goskyride.com/Search/Details?eventid=9014

Breeze is a womens cycling network, I've trained as ride leader with them and am starting to promote breeze bike rides locally.

whatsinthebagangelos Sat 22-Sep-12 17:25:13

Hi enchanted, pregnancy is going fine thanks, had hideous sickness until 20 weeks but now feeling more like my normal self!
Am thinking I may go to groups in cullompton, when baby arrives. An hoping to breast feed so a breast feeding cafe would be good. Thanks for your advice re a bumps and babies group, do you know of any locally? I also drive , couldn't imagine not living where I live! Much easier with a little one too. Would be great to have a local meet up if people are up for it. smile

EnchantedBunny Sat 15-Sep-12 17:58:23

Hi snowgirl, how is your pregnancy going? Whereabouts did you move to Plymouth from?

EnchantedBunny Sat 15-Sep-12 17:55:30

Hi Angelos, at the moment I do very little outside the house with my ds as we spend a lot of time with my parents, but I am hoping to start going to some groups, breastfeeding cafes etc in cullompton and exeter. I drive which is a godsend for visiting friends etc as none of then live directly on the 1a/b/c bus route!
One thing I wish I'd done when pregnant was go to some bumps and babes groups so I had a bit of a baby related social circle in place for when ds arrived. But I'm going to make a visit to the NCT one in Exeter hopefully this week.
How are you getting on with your pregnancy? I guess Fudge is busy with her newborn by now!

whatsinthebagangelos Sun 09-Sep-12 10:03:10

Hello everyone. I posted then forgot about it! Nice to see some people who are very close to me, fudge and enchanted. What sort of things do you do with your little ones? Do you both drive? smile

Snowgirl83 Wed 05-Sep-12 12:21:16

OOoooh! Happened upon this thread whilst lurking around and although I'm slightly - well actually not at all in - off the geographical area, am going to plough on anyway (being 34 weeks pregnant has enabled me to do this only recently- usually into people who tell me I should cut back on the carbs- so I am taking advantage smile

34 weeks with first, moved to Plymouth in May; been renovating house & falling out with builders pretty much since then (when I haven't been asleep/ being sick/ moaning about pregnancy) so haven't met a soul and am starting to miss conversation and people. Especially since I suspect I won't be getting too much of that in the near future..

EnchantedBunny Sat 01-Sep-12 23:38:59

Hi all, another Mid Devon Mnetter here. DS is 3 months, be great to get to know a couple more local mums, maybe organise a meet-up?

FudgeyCookie Tue 28-Aug-12 08:45:30

Hello!! Feels good to finally stumble across a thread of localish mummy's!! I'm due a week today with my first, and live in Cullompton but don't know anyone!! Hope your all well!

whatsinthebagangelos Sat 18-Aug-12 18:27:08

Hello everyone!

Just wanting to say hi. Am expecting our first child in feb and am beginning to think ahead to when he or she is born. planner
Would love to get to know some local mums to have coffee with occasionally. I'm between Tiverton and cullompton. Currently work in Exeter and am among the first of my group of friends to have a baby so don't want to feel out on a limb or have to go trekking to Exeter with a newborn just to get out of the house!

bluebump Sat 14-Apr-12 14:15:40

Waves back!

Threestepsback Sat 14-Apr-12 00:49:05

Hi, i have only been lurking around MN for a few weeks now and loving it. I am in Willand and its great to find some local MNetters. <waves to everyone>

bluebump Thu 12-Apr-12 21:16:49

Hello Born, glad to see another Devon person checking in!

My DS loved the soft play bit to do with the bear and the animals. He is still proudly wearing his "I groomed a pony at Crealy" sticker on his coat a week later! grin

Does your DD need to be potty trained for preschool then? My DS was the last one at his preschool to be potty trained but they didn't mind.

I would be happy with Bolham or Heathcoats I think, Heathcoats would be better for when he's older but Bolham better to start with as he's only going to be 4 in August so will be one of the youngest there so a nice small school may benefit him. Despite the reputation of the West Exe area i'd happily move back down that way hence I chose Heathcoats rather than Two Moors which is closer than even Bolham to me. Oh well, not too long to wait! <drums fingers impatiently>

PurpleWithaBlueBun Thu 12-Apr-12 20:20:51

Born we have the odd flare of activity on here. I am going to have to google Kernow! Usuall every two months recently, which is better than it was.

We went to Crealy last September, DD loved it and loved Blossom bear or whatever it was called.
Will be looking at Tidcombe school for nursery although not sure, with the potty training regressing whether it is doable or not. hmm The one person I know who went to Bolham School liked it so fingers crossed for you. Heathcoats is nice from the bit I have seen of it, nice location.

BornSicky Thu 12-Apr-12 20:04:20

hello devonians!

I'm as far West as you can be without stretching into Kernow... another market town!

nice to see some chat on here. looks like the tumbleweeds are blowing away.

bluebump Thu 12-Apr-12 19:58:52

I'm hoping for Bolham, we are (just) in the catchment but they only take 16 so easy to be bumped off if there are plenty of siblings of current students etc. Second choice is Heathcoats.

Any idea which preschool you'll send your DD to?

Break has been ok thanks, we braved Crealy for the first time - of course DS LOVED it!

PurpleWithaBlueBun Thu 12-Apr-12 19:03:03

Ah reminds me been meaning to look round preschool for DD all year... Hope you get the school your after. Any clues which one? wink
Spent your break well?

bluebump Thu 12-Apr-12 18:47:05

Ooh congratulations! All ok here thanks, half term has gone far too quickly but looking forward to next week when we find out what school DS has got into!

PurpleWithaBlueBun Thu 12-Apr-12 16:50:02

How lovely first steps! So exciting when they reach their milestones. smile

Second baby is much, much easier! Right down to the sleep deprivation. Obviously used to it now. <yawn>

Nearly 3 year old DD regressing with the potty training... Not so good! Oh and the house is a blinking tip, and it actually takes me 2hrs to get us up and out if we have to be somewhere in the morning, which is a learning curve!

Still very happy with my lot. smile Thanks for asking.

I think sometimes you need to be told your doing well and it is normal for it to be hard, so nice you can be there for your friend.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 08-Apr-12 22:36:03

He was very good! grin

He took his first solo steps! He must've been feeling upstaged by the baby!

The visit reminded me how tough it is with a tiny baby, like groundhog day. My mate is finding it tough, but she's doing well.

How are you doing, Purple?

PurpleWithaBlueBun Sun 08-Apr-12 21:23:19

Thank you smile How was your DS Underwater?

AlmaMartyr Sun 08-Apr-12 08:24:04

Congratulations Purple!

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 08-Apr-12 07:38:50

Ooh, congratulations Purple!

I'm off to see meet a friend's 4-week-old today! Although I'm pretty sure 1yo ds will destroy their entire house and baby.

It will be a brief visit!

PurpleWithaBlueBun Sat 07-Apr-12 22:29:18

Good thanks, I spewed forth with fresh new life, Ds is 4 weeks tomorrow. smile I have been feeling smug at our lack of snow and mild weather too. How are you?

bluebump Sat 07-Apr-12 22:18:38

Well hello! How is everyone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now