Help choosing a hospital

(5 Posts)
Jaynei Thu 09-Jul-09 16:15:49

Having recently discovered that we are pregnant our first task according to the Dcotor is to choose a maternity hospital.. We have the option of The Princess Alexandra in Harlow, St Johns in Chelmsford or The Rosie in Cambridge, all are equidistant from our home. Just wondered if anyone had any feed back that they could give about their experiences at these hospitals? A few things to consider; We conceived with IVF so there is a distinct possibility of twins,grin this will be our first time and I am an older Mum (39).

ElvisLovesEssex Fri 10-Jul-09 06:32:00

Hi Jaynei

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Hope you're feeling well.

I didn't have my children in Essex as we moved here a couple of years ago. However, lots of my friends have had their baby at St. John's. I have not heard any negative feedback about it, and I have heard very good things about the consultants there.

However, I accept that this is probably ot much help - so I'll go to the main board and shout for some Essex mums to give you some better info.

hocuspontas Fri 10-Jul-09 20:49:34

My experience is from over a decade ago so probably not much help!

I had dd1 in PA in 1992 but had dd2 and dd3 at The Rosie. The main difference to me was how I was treated. As an inconvenience at PA and an equal at The Rosie. The Rosie is full of fun-loving students and I enjoyed both my experiences there. Both deliveries were not without complications but I felt in safe hands. At PA it took a week after the birth for them to discover why I was so ill hmm.

The food was good at PA but the tea and toast post birth can't be beaten at The Rosie!

ElvisLovesEssex Sat 11-Jul-09 09:41:50

Thanks for this - I think even a decade-old experience can be helpful. And it's amazing how important the tea and toast becomes after giving birth.

When I had my dd at St. Thomas', I was really looking forward to mine (especially after 36 hours of labour). Sadly, the midwife knocked a glass of water over the toast and then said, "Sorry, there isn't any more.) DH was quickly despatched to McDonalds.

Sorry Jaynei - that's really not very interesting for you is it?

Sallypuss Thu 30-Jul-09 18:31:22

I had my DD in Princess Alexandra last November (despite my DH's protestations that he didn't want DD born in Essex!). I can't speak highly enough of the staff there - I even wrote to thank them afterwards. The care I received was just superb and the staff do a great job. Would recommend highly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now