St Michael independent school Leigh on sea

(3 Posts)
Betty0852 Mon 30-Jan-17 17:54:05

Hi everyone we applied for West Leigh school in Leigh on sea however based on last year's statistics I don't think we will be accepted as we are just on the boundaries of the catchment area. In the meantime we secured a place at the local independent school St Michael. They seem to have a good proportion of the kids going into local grammar schools. It would be good to hear some views on this school. A lot of people tell me that it's not worth paying private for primary and a standard state school should be sufficient complimented with tuitoning to get into good secondary schools. I'm not sure I'm convinced. We are both working parents and we worry about how much after school supervision we can give to our kids in terms of studying. Could St Michael be a good choice in our case to invest in primary education and then hopefully get into grammars?
Looking forward to hearing your experiences with St Michael school.

Chewbecca Wed 01-Feb-17 14:26:57

My DC went to St M's and are now (comfortable) at local grammars so your planned route worked for us and DC happy there. We had no additional tutoring.

WL is a very good school, pass rates are slightly lower than St M's but who knows if your child would get the same result regardless of where they go?

They are very different in terms of size, WL is a very big bustling school, St M's is small, generally calm and very controlled. St M's provides more opportunity for music & drama.

St M's expects a lot of homework from its pupils so they may need your support to do that. There is homework at WL but not so much expected next day.

Only you can decide if it is worth paying for, ultimately they are both very good schools.

If you don't get a place a WL, you might not even have that choice so the decision may be made for you.

Betty0852 Wed 08-Feb-17 10:42:33

Thanks for your response Chewbecca.. As you say, we may not even have a choice...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now