Best secondary school in Palmers Green?

(22 Posts)
OyyVeyy Fri 13-Oct-17 11:51:42

Please let me have your thoughts???

Enfieldlady Fri 13-Oct-17 15:22:08

St Anne’s Catholic Girls (upper school)
Not Broomfield, though hopefully it will turn around eventually.
Those are the only two in N13.
I guess most N13 residents will go to Winchmore on edge of N21. Not sure what else you’d be in catchment for?
Southgate School has a relatively large catchment - check your distances carefully and you might be in luck, depending where in P Green you end up.
Worth looking at Enfield County (girls) and Enfield Grammar (boys) too, as their admissions policies are designed to serve the entire borough.
But in terms of results, the best school in LB Enfield (one of the best in N London) is Latymer - if you are willing to battle 2500 other potential students for one of 190 places!

tkband3 Fri 13-Oct-17 17:56:35

Unfortunately Palmers Green is a bit of a black hole, school-wise - if you're not close to Hazelwood, or Catholic and therefore looking at St Monica's it is for primary as well as secondary. Latymer is a highly selective school and as EnfieldLady says, is extremely competitive to get into. If you were going down the selective route, you could also look at Dame Alice Owens, which although it is in Potters Bar, takes children from around the Enfield borough. It is also highly competitive, and the number of places on offer is limited because they also have a sibling policy.

Enfieldlady Fri 13-Oct-17 18:04:52

For Dame Alice, you need to live within N13 4xx or N13 5xx to be eligible to apply. Also N11 1xx or N11 3xx. Or anywhere in N14 or N21 (those are the closest ones to N13 - check for other postcodes - it’s quite limited: damealiceowens.herts.sch.uk/admissions/secondary-transfer/admissions-info/ )

OyyVeyy Fri 13-Oct-17 19:06:05

Thanks. Hadn't heard of Dame A - is it a grammar school? For girls? Religious?

OyyVeyy Fri 13-Oct-17 19:06:28

Not looking for single sex or religious schools.

OyyVeyy Fri 13-Oct-17 19:07:12

Really helpful to have the local low down - thanks so much everyone smile

OyyVeyy Fri 13-Oct-17 19:07:35

Any thoughts on Winchmore School?

Enfieldlady Fri 13-Oct-17 19:12:53

DAO is in Potters Bar. It’s semi selective; you either have to live in the tiny catchment (about 3 streets immediately around the school), be a sibling of an existing pupil or the child of a teacher, or win a selective place (not sure of numbers, but likely to be similar ratio of applicants to places as Latymer). By no means a dead cert - and quite a distance to travel. Other than the two selective schools, if you don’t want religious or single sex, you are basically looking at Winchmore or Broomfield for community comprehensives.

bobthebuddha Fri 13-Oct-17 22:23:32

Have a look at Highlands 2 stops up the train line in Grange Park too - although the catchment is/was supposed to be pretty small

Enfieldlady Fri 13-Oct-17 23:06:19

You’d never get Highlands from Palmers Green. Catchment is less than a mile.
Are you Jewish OP? Wondered because of the username... there are a couple of great Jewish schools in Barnet: JCOSS and JFS. Don’t know what the admission criteria is tho’ (but perhaps you don’t want any religion, Christian, Jewish or whatever?!)

tkband3 Sat 14-Oct-17 09:54:03

I have a couple of friends with kids at Winchmore and they are very pleased with it. It has a newish head who has dramatically improved it in the last few years. As a result though, its catchment will probably start decreasing...

mythbustinggov Sat 14-Oct-17 21:14:50

Look in Haringey, Alexandra Palace School (APS) is very good and the reason Broomfield struggles. Fortismere is worth a look, too, and Greig City Academy has good stats.

Enfieldlady Sun 15-Oct-17 21:29:22

^^ but you won’t get any of those Haringey schools living in N13, would you mythbustinggov?

mythbustinggov Mon 16-Oct-17 09:51:02

OP doesn't say N13, just Palmers Green. The London Grid for Learning e-admissions system allows for 'cross-border' applications - www.eadmissions.org.uk/eAdmissions/app

It's worth a punt.

OyyVeyy Mon 16-Oct-17 21:30:40

Tkband3 what do your friends like about Winchmore?

How has the new head changed things?

tkband3 Mon 16-Oct-17 22:48:13

I don’t know in detail I’m afraid. I think they have quite small tutor groups, with students from across the year groups, who get together regularly. They go on some excellent school trips. Generally I think the head has just improved standards across the board - teaching, discipline, results are improving too. My friends’ kids are very happy there.

But then I do know others who were disappointed to be allocated winchmore and were relieved when they got their first choices on the second allocation round. It’s not perfect and there are better schools in the borough, but it’s definitely better than Broomfield.

Are you now looking in PG rather than Southgate?

tl73 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:19:06

Both my children are at Winchmore and are thriving. The Head and his leadership have really turned the school around, the results they are achieving is testament to this, as is the (now) very small catchment area.
In addition to the academic side, the school offers the children great after-school clubs and some fantastic trips too.
Please go and visit the school, I'm sure you'll be surprised at what you find!

christinarossetti Sun 22-Oct-17 21:09:46

What's the problem with Broomfield, does anyone know?

It's results aren't great, but not awful either.

The Enfield admissions arrangements are really obscure - anyone any idea about how far it usually admits on distance?

TheChristmasFaery Tue 24-Oct-17 20:57:39

Well the fact that Broomfield is right on the North Circ puts me off. Whatever the school is like, it's not worth getting lung cancer hmm

christinarossetti Wed 25-Oct-17 08:51:52

It's a couple of streets back from the North Circular, and hardly unique in London schools in terms of pollution.

I meant what is actually wrong with the school in terms of education. Another poster suggested that the proximity of APS is the reason the school struggles. APS has a very different demographic - is it the school population that puts people off?

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Thu 30-Nov-17 17:28:59

Would** love to know more here about Winchmore School tl73...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now