Southgate - honest opinions please?

(16 Posts)
OyyVeyy Fri 06-Oct-17 14:51:17

Would you live here?
How does it compare to Oakwood?

tkband3 Fri 06-Oct-17 14:59:55

Which bit of Southgate?

OyyVeyy Fri 06-Oct-17 15:08:21

Around the station / towards Trent Park I'm thinking...

OyyVeyy Fri 06-Oct-17 15:08:36

Not keen on the south part.

OyyVeyy Fri 06-Oct-17 15:09:23

But the top seems nice and I like the idea of proximity to Trent Park. Any thoughts?

tkband3 Fri 06-Oct-17 17:35:04

It’s a good area to live in. Good schools, lots of green space and good transport links. Oakwood and Southgate very similar really (same postcode!). Depending on which side of chase side you live, you can be in borough of Enfield or Barnet.

Nothing particularly exciting about living here, but it’s a nice area, albeit a bit suburban.

IamPickleRick Fri 06-Oct-17 22:09:56

Over in EN3, Southgate is considered v posh. It's nice.

OyyVeyy Sat 07-Oct-17 07:30:42

I realise it's not the most hip place in the world - and I'm ok with that. Just looking for somewhere nice to bring up our young family. So it's a thumbs up then?

mythbustinggov Sat 07-Oct-17 13:47:51

Good schools, good facilities, decent shopping, great transport - what's not to like?

tkband3 Sat 07-Oct-17 15:09:07

Can I ask why you're set against the south end of Southgate? We live closer to Palmers Green train station than Southgate tube, although both are walking distance, and it's a lovely place to live.

Raisedbyguineapigs Sat 07-Oct-17 16:27:59

Southgate is nice all over really. Near the tube is terrible for traffic, but Grovelands Park is great. My friend lives opposite Grovelands park and said its a bit dodgy for secondary school catchments though. Trent Park is more Oakwood/ Cockfosters which is nicer, I think. I like Palmers Green too. But again, busy. We couldn't afford to live anywhere nice around there, so moved out, but if you can afford to live there, its great.

Enfieldlady Sun 08-Oct-17 17:09:37

Think about secondary school catchments. Ashmole, Highlands and possibly Southgate Schools are the ones people would move house fo a place at. Less so Winchmore, and definitely not Broomfield. I don’t know much about primary schools in the area any more, except that the desirable ones are very over-subscribed and you may have to live literally metres away.

OyyVeyy Sun 08-Oct-17 19:16:44

Thanks for all the feedback!
Yes def looking at schools.
When I say I'm
Less keen on the "south part" I mean that I have been sent some houses by estate agents described as being in Southgate - that are really more towards Osidge & Arnos Grove - these are the bits I'm less keen on (Sorry to cause at offence just still trying to get my bearings as new to the area).

OyyVeyy Sun 08-Oct-17 19:42:47

I really like Palmers Green but the secondary schools don't seem to be so good - is that fair?

Raisedbyguineapigs Sun 08-Oct-17 20:09:11

Yeah actually thats a fair point. You virtually have to live in the flats opposite Ashmole to get in there. The Free school is Greek Orthodox, although I think when I lived round there, they did take about 50% non Greek Orthodox. Broomfield, again a few years ago was a no go. I don't know about Southgate but Id imagine again, you'd have to live on their doorstep.

tkband3 Sun 08-Oct-17 20:27:02

The catchment for Ashmole is currently about half mile, but I imagine that will decrease in the future, as they've said they'll give priority to children who attend the new Ashmole primary. Not sure what the catchment was for that though. It is an excellent school though.

Since Southgate got a new head a few years ago, it has dramatically improved, and I think the catchment is decreasing each year. However I think it remains around the 2 mile mark (by which I mean that was the furthest away a child lived in order to get in this academic year).

If you were towards the Trent Park end, you might get into East Barnet, which is also an excellent school.

Broomfield doesn't have a great reputation, but is supposed to be vastly improved, again since getting a new head.

Primaries in the area are all pretty good. It's really hard to get into Walker, Osidge and Eversley - loads of siblings every year. The new Ashmole primary will almost certainly have the same problem in years to come, but this is only its second year. West Grove is a vastly under-rated, but excellent school (my DDs went there). It's viewed as a last resort school by many, because it has a high turnover of pupils and a very high proportion of children with English as a second language. But the teaching is excellent as is the pastoral care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now