Moving to Edinburgh in a week!

(24 Posts)
tag2 Mon 20-Jul-09 18:25:09

Hi everyone,

I'm moving back to Edinburgh in a week from the middle east, lived there as a student but have no idea of child friendly stuff to do! I have a daughter 3 and son 1 and really want to find some things to do with them and some places to meet other mums and toddlers. Don't know where we'll be living yet but would love to hear any suggestions to stop us going crazy!

meep Mon 20-Jul-09 19:04:26

there is so much - where to start..................

- Botanic Gardens - great (but pricey) cafe with a little childrens corner with a hige chalk board that all ages seem to love - then a run around the gardens to burn off small person energy!

- Inverleith Park accross the road has a great play park

- The Meadows has a fantastic play park that your 3yo will love - go early in the morning as it gets very very busy

- Dynamic Earth has a good soft play area

Will try to think of some more.........

bitofadramaqueen Mon 20-Jul-09 19:23:55

There's loads in in and around Edinburgh. East links near Dunbar is great if you have a car, the zoo, lots of nearby country parks, soft play in Sighthill is good, and there are loads of classes like Jo jingles etc which are good for meeting other mums. There are a fair few mums and toddler groups, your local HV should be able to point you in the right direction. Dobbies garden centre is also good - lots of fish and animals to look at and the butterfly world there is good too.

You can also but 'edinburgh for under 5's' which contains info on just about everywhere you might want to go to.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 20-Jul-09 19:33:33

There is a very friendly group for 0-5s at St Peter's Church in Lutton place on a Monday and Thursday morning from 9.30-11.15 smile

mawbroon Tue 21-Jul-09 13:26:28

There is really loads to do, and even more if the weather is good!

We can be more specific once you find out where you are going to be living, and if you are feeling brave, I am sure there are plenty MNetters who would like to meet up. We are really very nice. smile

HOpe your move goes smoothly.

TheNonIronicCathKidstonGoat Tue 21-Jul-09 13:28:18

yes tag2 we simply have to know were you are moving to!

hi mawbroon - how are you wink

mawbroon Tue 21-Jul-09 13:33:03

Hi goat. I'm doing grand thanks. You?

TheNonIronicCathKidstonGoat Tue 21-Jul-09 13:34:33

yes yes i am good!

tag2 Tue 21-Jul-09 17:14:16

Thank you so much for all the suggestions, just have to get there to get started...and find somewhere to live if we have time...! Will hopefully have a better idea soon, tickets booked so this time next week we'll be there!

tag2 Fri 24-Jul-09 04:29:39

Hoping to move to new town / stockbridge / dean village area. My DD has suddenly started doing really well with her swimming lessons and I'd like her to continue having them. Does anyone know of lessons for 3 year olds in that part of town and / or a good public pool to take them to?

meep Sun 26-Jul-09 13:56:18

Ainslie Park or Glenogle will be the closest to you. Glenogle is in Stockbridge and is an old traditional pool whereas Ainslie Park is a bit further away but is modern with a creche/gym/fitness classes etc.

Stockbridge is a lovely place to live. It is right next to Inverleith Park (duck pond and great playpark) and also to the Botanic Gardens.

yaqub Fri 31-Jul-09 12:49:05

Hi, I saw that you might be moving to Stockbridge.

I just wanted to ask if you needed a child minder for your children?

I am a registered child minder and also have a 2 yr old son, who helps with the settling in period!!

I live in Edinburgh, and am based from home.

If you wish to contact me, my email address is: s.yaqub@yahoo.co.uk.

Hope to hear from you soon.

tag2 Tue 04-Aug-09 21:48:18

Thanks Yaqub, I don't need a child minder at the moment but will remember you if that changes.

Going to be living on Montagu Terrace (Inverleith Row), does anyone know a good gp near there and playgroups nearby? Also, is the Glenogle swimming pool open, it looks like its being refurbished?

Thanks x

tag2 Tue 04-Aug-09 22:00:01

Also does anyone know if the playgroups at inverleith church and st stephen's are running at the moment? Thanks again

MumRW Sun 16-Aug-09 08:35:53

Hi, I have also just moved to Edinburgh (New Town) from Rome with 8month old and nearly 12 year old daughter. I am a classical musician and my husband works for the British Council. Any suggestions on playgroups to meet other mums in my area would be much appreciated. Also, is there somewhere for my 8 month old to do baby swimming? I am wondering if it is now too late to do that underwater thing that looks so wonderful! Also, any suggestions on good dentists would be much appreciated. Thanks!

meep Sun 16-Aug-09 08:49:30

here is the link to Waterbabies: www.waterbabies.co.uk/ - give them a call/email and they will tell you if/where there is availability in Edinburgh

WestHamJane Tue 18-Aug-09 22:39:08

The Inverleith Church Weds Group starts back on Weds 2nd September.

WestHamJane Tue 18-Aug-09 22:41:20

Hi there welcome to Edinburgh from Rome! There is a PG on a Mon and Fri 10-11.30ish at St Stephens Church Hall on St Stephens Street.

A lot of local pools have parent/toddler swim sessions, check out Ainslie Park Leisure Centre.

WestHamJane Tue 18-Aug-09 22:44:47

Hi Tag2

I don't live far from there and there are lots of other Mums around there too. There is a good group on a Weds (term time) which starts back on 2nd Sept 10-12, it's at Inverleith Church not far from you at all. Also Tumble Tots runs in the same church hall on a Tuesday morning, various time depending on age/ability of child. There is also an Acorn Club Group on a Thursday morning at the same church in a different hall. Granton Library has a great Rhymetime Session on a Thursday 11-12. Hope this helps, if you want to catch up sometime I'm usually around somewhere. I've got a 10 month old and a 2 1/2 year old.

Jane

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 18-Aug-09 22:57:41

Message withdrawn

wrongsideof40 Tue 18-Aug-09 22:58:38

re a dentist - we used to use Yann and Ginny Maidment on Chester Street who were very good - only stopped going to avoid a car journey ! Think they were known as New town Dental Practice ?

tag2 Wed 19-Aug-09 20:55:35

Thanks everyone!

WestHamJane, you're information is great, v helpful, I will definately check some of those groups out, although now going to be living on Warriston Road, but still not too far away. I would love to meet up sometime, have been hanging about with only the little ones for the last couple of weeks and crave an adult conversation with someone other than my husband! Let me know if your around somewhere sometime and I'll come and meet you if thats still ok. My little girl would love to meet some new friends too x

WestHamJane Fri 21-Aug-09 22:51:04

Hi tag2, that would be lovely. I'm busy next week and away the week after but will contact you when I get back and we can organise something. Warriston Road isn't far. There is also another playgroup on a Thursday morning at St Stephens Church Comely Bank (term time). The dentist we go to by the way is an NHS one on Great Junction Street, Leith. Are you in Edinburgh now? Jane x

tag2 Sun 23-Aug-09 19:44:38

Hi Jane, that's great, yes I'm in Edinburgh now, brrr! Hope your week away is an enjoyable one. Speak when you're back, Tamsin x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now