Book festival tickets?

(11 Posts)
bookswapper Sat 27-Jun-09 18:38:44

Can anyone help me and my DS?

I never manage to secure tickets despite my best efforts.

This year I have failed at the Parents Like Us festival, Science Festival and now the Book Festival...

This is despite being on the internet, phone AND doing a postal application before I went on holiday.

So if anyone has, or knows anyone who has any spare tickets to sell for We're Going on a Bear Hunt and/or The Very Hungry Caterpillar (any days)...and three if possible but two would be fine....then could you point them in my Mumsnet direction?

We would be so grateful (his last chance before he grows out of these type of shows).
And I may not be as rubbish as I think I am at these things...although I am developing a complex!

wrongsideof40 Sat 27-Jun-09 23:36:28

To stand any chance of getting tickets for the well-known book festival events you have to be a Friend of the Book Festival , they get a 24hr (at least) headstart on booking !

bookswapper Sun 28-Jun-09 20:32:30

Aha!!!!!
That explains it!

(Doesn't sound very inclusive though...)

bookswapper Sun 28-Jun-09 20:38:01

Oh good grief...its £50 to become a Friend and get advance booking.

Bum.

rookiemater Sun 28-Jun-09 20:39:17

Ahhh, explains a lot. I was on the phone straight away at 8.30am on 22nd, but was told there was at least 100 calls before me so we didn't get our Hungry Caterpillar tickets.

Bit of a shame really, but I suppose it's good that the festival is so popular.

wrongsideof40 Sun 28-Jun-09 23:38:02

it is good - but am I the only person who gets P**d off that the (state) schools go back mid-August so we can't go to lots of things ? And yes I know there are shows on after 3.30 pm but after a full day at school the children just want to come home not traipse into town !!

rookiemater Mon 29-Jun-09 08:50:56

Perhaps its a deliberate ploy as they know there will be no tickets left for anything so it makes no difference !

chevre Mon 29-Jun-09 08:54:32

console yourself that the audience will consist of irratatingly earnest parents whispering loudly throughout the show. i imagine the bear hunt would be particularily repellent 'come on [insert poncy name here] you know this bit, swishy swishy through the long grass just like when we went to centre parks'

[waves at rookiemater!]

rookiemater Mon 29-Jun-09 09:33:48

Ah yes my excellent 2.2 in French means I know exactly who you are

[waves back at chevre knowingingly]

sorry for thread hijack, as you were....

mawbroon Wed 08-Jul-09 13:54:59

Man, I HATE that bloody Bear Hunt book....

McSnail Thu 09-Jul-09 10:33:23

I worked in Bookings for the Book Festival one year - never again. I still have anxiety dreams about it. I have to say, the Childrens' Events used to bring out the worst in people if they couldn't get tickets. I actually had a woman sobbing down the phone, accusing me of ruining her child's summer because I couldn't sell her a ticket for Darren Shan. Shudder.

Anyhoo - my point is, is that things sell out in the blink of an eye. It doesn't matter what way you try to book - the sheer volume of people who attend the Book Festival makes acquiring tickets a feat for the supernaturally speedy.

*wipes away the cold sweat that suddenly popped up on my brow*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now