Commonwealth Pool closed for *two* years??

(16 Posts)
curlyredhead Mon 15-Jun-09 14:09:20

I had vaguely heard there was to be refurbishments, but I checked today and it closes at the end of June 09 and doesn't reopen till sometime late 2011. I'm not a great fan of taking little ones swimming there, too cold, but Clambers is a pretty good soft play and one of the few that are ok-ish to get ot on the bus.... with that and lots of the museum being closed for years as well, I don't know what I'm going to do with my lot.... <<wails>>

SpawnChorus Mon 15-Jun-09 14:14:28

I know. It sucks.

liath Mon 15-Jun-09 15:09:58

It's the only soft-play within walking distance for us. By the time it re-opens the kids will likely be too old to go. It's a PITA <stares out at the lashing rain in despair>...... Mind you, it should be fab once it's reopened!

rookiemater Mon 15-Jun-09 18:07:32

They should lay on special free buses to Ratho for Scrambles.

I hate Clambers because DS gets himself lost in the age inappropriate bit which DH kindly showed him how to use, then usually gets knocked over by an energetic 8 year old.

However I can still empathise over its loss.

mawbroon Wed 17-Jun-09 07:43:43

I believe that there was talking of putting soft play into the sports centre at Craiglockhart. Not much use for me though as it's quite hard to get to by bus from here. hmm

I should have spotted a gap in the market and opened a soft play nearby the pool. winksmile

TheCrackFox Wed 17-Jun-09 19:23:48

That really is crap.

They may as well close the whole of Edinburgh what with the tram works, museum etc.

mawbroon Wed 17-Jun-09 22:59:52

Tramworks provide great digger action for those interested though.....

letuseatcake Wed 17-Jun-09 23:07:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mawbroon Wed 17-Jun-09 23:11:58

We are just near the bypass so I am planning to venture to Loanhead for swimming. It is probably quicker to get there actually!

Anyone been?

curlyredhead Thu 18-Jun-09 20:52:46

Loanhead is v nice pool and changing rooms are v warm - that was what I meant about commie pool, the changing is chilly! Loanhead doesn't have cafe for after, just drinks/snack machines.

Sign up at clambers says craiglockhart opens soft play in Aug - frustratingly we live about 1/2 mile from there as the crow flies but it will take two buses or one plus a longish walk. But might well be worth it!

It was Monday we were at clambers - when the rain was throwing it down - and they had to clear everyone out of it because the rain started coming through the roof - so renovation def good thing!

mawbroon Thu 18-Jun-09 21:41:16

Ah, warm changing rooms. That's what I like to hear. smile

AgaBoo Wed 15-Jul-09 21:05:29

We moved in a few blocks away from Commonwealth Pool a couple of weeks ago. Found Clambers in the edinburgh-under-fives book, got all excited, went there at 5.30pm to find out it was closing for two years in an hour's time.

So a lot of the Clambers equipment will go to Craiglockhart, said the helpers, but the soft play there will not open until August and when it does it will be for the 1-6 year age range - not so scary, but not so much fun either. And a good long bus ride...

A guy at my work was a lifeguard at the RCP in the summers as a student, he says it has a special "heritage" type status and there is some magic to the way the internal supporting structure works, so they're limited in what they can rip out and repair. It didn't look to me as if it was suffering from more than neglect, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoyalCommonwealthPool

There is a toddler play in the hall of a nearby church just off south clerk road, St Peters, which DH thinks is wonderful and he gets to hang out with other geeky-academic at-home dads... but it's only two mornings a week, Mon and Thurs.

Iggi999 Wed 15-Jul-09 21:12:04

I was so excited arriving at Commonwealth on Monday to actually get a space in the carpark.. it only dawned on us very slowly (after actually walking into building!) that something a bit odd was going on... I think I was more disappointed than DS.

liath Thu 16-Jul-09 08:31:48

LOL, iggi! It looks rather sad and desolate now.

There's definitley a gap in the market for a soft play in the area now. I was contemplating turning my back garden into a ball pit and renting it out grin.

meep Thu 16-Jul-09 09:29:51

Dynamic Earth is quite good for little toddlers - not too pricey (though if you add on the parking it is. Good if you need to keep a closer eye on the just toddling as you sit in the "play" room with them.

MadameOvary Thu 16-Jul-09 09:40:42

Yes, my friend who is a fan of Clambers raves about Dynamic Earth too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now