Visiting Edinburgh - advice please

(10 Posts)
vacaloca Tue 09-Jun-09 20:41:51

Just worked out how to post on the local board. Will you come and give me some tips here please, lovely err... <what's the word for people who live in Edinburgh> MNers? grin

Very excited about child-free weekend with DH.

wrongsideof40 Wed 10-Jun-09 23:31:46

hello there, i hope you ahve a great weekend here - the city centre is not up to its usula standard due to horrid tram work etc ! What sort of things are you into ? romance? culture ? clubbing ? (might have to pass on that one as its been a while ! )

vacaloca Thu 11-Jun-09 09:33:08

We were thinking of going to the theatre or a comedy club but can't find anything on at the theatre other than opera, which we're not really into. There's something on at The Stand but I don't recognise any of the people (not that that matters much). It'd be nice to go to a gallery perhaps. I hear there are some new ones towards the harbour so maybe we'll combine that with brunch at a nice place on the Sunday morning before heading back home.

Grateful for any tips.

Thelongroadhome Thu 11-Jun-09 11:40:25

Hi, not sure if you've thought about where you are planning to eat at night but lots of places get booked up for a Fri and Sat in advance so its maybe worth booking now? Not sure about galleries towards the harbour. Do you know there is The List guide to whats on that you can look at? HOpe you ahve a good time.

vacaloca Thu 11-Jun-09 11:57:42

Someone recommended La Favorita and was wondering whether we'd need to book. The problem is that we haven't worked out yet what we're doing in the evening (theatre, comedy club, nothing...) so it's difficult to know what time we'd eat. I'd better do my homework and plan it a bit better. Nothing worse than ruining the evening by having to trawl through loads of restaurants to find a table. Mind you, the place where we're staying is self-catering so I guess we could always get a take-away if the worst comes to the worst.

wrongsideof40 Thu 11-Jun-09 21:10:54

Where are you staying ? and what kind of food do you like ? Not sure of any public galleries towards the harbour - there are some boutique gallery shops !

I would recommend the gallery of Modern Art on Belford rd, there is a ? free bus that links the 3 main galleries, or there is a very nice walk along the Water of leith from Stockbridge to the gallery.

vacaloca Thu 11-Jun-09 22:13:32

I'm staying south of Claremont Park. The gallery of Modern Art and nice walk along Water of Leith sounds good.

AnneinEdinburgh Tue 16-Jun-09 12:56:20

Nice places to eat in Stockbridge and good pubs and you can walk there along the water of Leith afetr the gallery. There are 2 galleries there, the Dean gallery is the other side of the road. The Modern Art gallery has a nice cafe with seats out in the garden.

vacaloca Tue 16-Jun-09 17:39:58

Thanks Anne - will check them out.

mousemole Mon 22-Jun-09 19:41:27

breakfast or brunch at urban angel on hanover st.
cocktails at tiger lily, george st - 2 for 1 at the moment I think. National gallery has some great art and always some good visiting exhibitions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now