Just moved to Edinburgh from Canada .... Hello everyone!

(12 Posts)
CanadianJen21 Sat 20-Sep-08 18:26:33

I am a 28 yrs old, first time Mum of a lovely 10 month old boy. I moved here with my partner to the Craigentinny area about three months ago. As i am enjoying being here i am finding it difficult to find any play groups for us to join or other infant type activites. If anyone had any suggestions, it would be great! Moving from another country it tends to be hard to meet other Mummy's and babies. I look forward to hearing from people.

aGalChangedHerName Sat 20-Sep-08 18:38:46

Hello!!

There are lots of MNers in Edinburgh and frequent meet up's. I am near Edinburgh and come for the meet up's.

I am sure the rest of the Edinburgh lot will be along soon.

Welcome xx

MadamAnt Sat 20-Sep-08 18:54:36

Hello! We moved back to Edinburgh this summer, and someone recommended that I buy "Edinburgh for Under Fives". You can get it in Waterstones (and prob other bookshops). It has been really useful for finding out about playgroups and child-friendly activities.

Also take a look at NetMums' website for onfo re: toddler groups.

Have fun!

CanadianJen21 Tue 23-Sep-08 10:25:02

Thanks for the advice, I will definately get the "Edinburgh for Under Fives"! Lok forward to get out and about!

nailpolish Tue 23-Sep-08 10:28:19

hi jen
i am in edinburgh too! i lived here before i had children, mvoed away and didnt move back til last year so i dont know much about baby/ toddler groups

but if you fancy meeting up with some of the other mumsnet folks then there area few of us and we are all very nice

honest!

garnettopaz Tue 23-Sep-08 15:13:02

don't know where craigetinney area is but lots of baby/toddler groups around - edinburgh under five will be helpful, health adivsors (through GP) usually have a local list, and in trinity there is Newhaven church group on tuesday 10am, inverleith church group on wed 10am, wardie church group on thursday 10am

in davidson mains there is one on a thursday at 9.15am and one on a monday at 9.15am

hope that helps

liath Tue 23-Sep-08 17:18:19

Hi there & welcome to Edinburgh.

Craigentinny not my neck of the woods but there is plenty to do in Edinburgh. There's a good soft play called time twisters in Sighthill that's free to under 12 month olds, the zoo is good value and a lot of decent play parks around town.

Keep an eye out for meet ups, last one was in a monsoon at the Botanics so I'd guess we'll be doing something indoors next time!!

nicksmom Thu 21-May-09 08:11:00

Hi Jen, I know this post is older but I just joined, saw it and had to write! I am also 28 and moved here from Canada last September wtih my husband and son, who is now 19 months. Where did you live in Canada? Are you enjoying Edinburgh? So far I'm loving it here...so beautiful. I'm finding it a bit hard to make some friends though - so it's difficult at times...also working full-time. Anyhow, just wanted to say "hi"! It's nice to see another Canadian on here!

weebob Sat 06-Jun-09 08:29:50

Hi Jen

I live in Lochendend which is just around the corner from you.

There aren't really anything around here to be honest. Our local YWCA has just shut down. There is a playgroup at the Craigentinny community centre but I send my ds there for 1 week then pulled him put. Not the greatest in the world.

Actually there is a softplay called Clown Around on Resalrig Road and there's Mollys softplay at Ocean Terminal.

Also look in the Speaker which is our local paper. There's a few thing in the back that you might be interested in

AgaBoo Sat 13-Jun-09 12:13:36

hello!

Reading this thread with interest as we're moving to Edinburgh in a couple of weeks time. I'll be working at the University and DH (who is Canadian) will be at home with 1yo DC.

Soon they'll be desperate for things to do on rainy days - any soft play or water play that can be found. I'll definitely look out that "Edinburgh for under fives" book.

I was hoping we could find a playgroup or nursery for several mornings a week. But i realise now that most nurseries don't accept kids until the year they turn three. My mum says she lied about my age to send me to nursery at 2! shock

I hope stay-at-home dads may be welcome at the meetups

nicksmom Wed 17-Jun-09 16:15:25

Hi AgaBoo, Glad to see another Canadian making their way to Edinburgh! My husband and I work at the university too. Children can start nursery as early as 3 months...my son started at 15 and we found a place within a week. Definitely different than Canada where you have to get on a waiting list when you're pregnant. There are tons of things to do with kids, it's a great city for children. There are a lot of playgroups and parent/toddler groups - dad's are definitely welcome!! The Under 5's book has some listed, and you'll find a lot of groups at churches and community centres once you move here. Good luck with your move! If you ever want to chat feel free to send me a msg!

chevre Wed 17-Jun-09 16:18:19

hi jen, portobello has any amount of playgroups etc if youare at teh porty end of craigentinny.

[waves to nailpolish, where you been?]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now