Mother & baby groups

(30 Posts)
Babybear1 Mon 14-Jul-08 18:30:53

Hi, am keen to get out of the house & am wondering does anyone know of any Mother & Baby groups in Edinburgh? (preferably South Edinburgh) The only one I know of is the Baxter one at the Ocean Terminal, but that's a bit too far of a drive.

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Mon 14-Jul-08 18:36:57

health visitors are usually full of this kind of information.

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Mon 14-Jul-08 18:37:23

apparently there is a v. good steiner one in s. edinburgh [runs off before thread is deleted]

beansmum Mon 14-Jul-08 18:43:54

I think the edinburgh for the under fives book has a list. The one I run (or ran, my last day tomorrow) is v good, but it's in Balerno and not really south edinburgh, more like south west I suppose.

HereComeTheGirls Mon 14-Jul-08 19:21:43

How old is your little one? I know of a few groups round here but they are all mother and TODDLER ones.....

gingerwench Tue 15-Jul-08 09:30:42

Liberton Kirk Halls have a mother and baby group Tuesdays 1:30pm (restarts after summer break on 19 Aug) - I've not been yet but I will be when it restarts

gingerwench Tue 15-Jul-08 09:31:11

Also there is one at Gracemount but can't remember the timings

MadamAnt Tue 15-Jul-08 09:44:05

Try to get hold of the 'Edinburgh for under fives' book. I bought it a few days ago from Waterstones. Lots of good info in there.

I'm in North Edinburgh, so not much help to you, I'm afraid!

weeglenny Thu 17-Jul-08 10:05:23

Apart from getting hold of the Edinburgh under 5's, you could ask at your local library if they run Rhymetime there. I've only been to one so far (in Leith) but DS seemed to enjoy it - all the children sit in a circle and the man who was running the session went through loads of songs - mums join in of course! grin

meep Thu 17-Jul-08 10:07:10

the HV who runs the Liberton Kirk one is really nice (if it is still Jane) - though I never actually made it there!

Babybear1 Thu 17-Jul-08 13:34:51

Hi Beansmum, I'm not too far away from Balerno, is the group still running? Cheers!

Babybear1 Thu 17-Jul-08 13:38:42

Hi, herecomethe girls, DD is just a baby a few weeks old, so would have to be a mother & baby group.Have asked health visitor for a list but haven't got one as yet. Also have the edinburgh Under 5s book, has a long list of toddler groups, but not too many Baby groups.

rookiemater Fri 18-Jul-08 22:55:09

Hi, I'd recommend checking with the NCT.

They try to organise coffee groups for new Mums, so provided you get in touch quickly then you might be able to get into one of those.

Does your local doctors run anything ? Ours is really good as they had a few sessions about sleeping and things like that, but really just an excuse for the Mums to get together. Or what about your baby weigh in, where is that held ? If it is an open weigh in, then you could hang around for a bit and suggest coffee if anyone else turns up.

Other than that I don't think there are too many structured mother & baby groups.

bearmama Fri 18-Jul-08 23:03:03

There is one in Corstorphine on Monday mornings for first time Mums at my local surgery, not sure if you have to be a member tho.

rookiemater Fri 18-Jul-08 23:05:41

Actually I have just thought of one in Morningside. I'm struggling to remember who organised it, but it was something like every other Friday, I am seeing my friend tomorrow who went along as well, so I wil check with her.

bearmama Fri 18-Jul-08 23:25:13

rookiemater, could you find out for me too please? Thanks smile

pointydog Fri 18-Jul-08 23:25:56

yes, get in touch with NCT. There will be loads of mother and baby groups in south edinburgh

MadamAnt Sat 19-Jul-08 09:23:25

Just thought I'd add that IME 'Mother and Toddler' groups often have a fair few young babies there too. There are usually playmats, bouncy chairs and soft baby toys to play with, and of course plenty of other parents for you to chat to (which is the most important thing wink). In fact it's sometimes quite useful spending time with parents who are a year or so 'ahead' of you in terms of their DCs age, because they can be exhausted knowledgable and full of caffeine wise advice.

pointydog Sat 19-Jul-08 18:37:54

How're you settling into edinburgh, ant?

beansmum Sat 19-Jul-08 19:10:50

babybear, there are two in balerno. St Mungo's minis meets tuesdays and wednesdays in the church building (ladycroft, in the centre of the village)10-11.30. It's not on next week and is on wed only the week after that because of school hols. There are a few tiny babies coming at the mo, then lots under a year and a range of others up to 4yo. The other one in balerno is on a thursday in the parish church hall, not sure what time or if it is running over the summer. There are definitely groups in currie and juniper green too, but I'm not sure where or what time.

beansmum Sat 19-Jul-08 20:37:09

I just had a look on netmums, they have loads listed in edinburgh. here

Babybear1 Sat 19-Jul-08 22:18:04

Thanks everyone, will be kept busy. Am looking forward to getting out of the house to somewhere other than the shops. Maternity leave is great but I'm just spending too much money! Beansmum that link you sent me is really good, cheers.

MadamAnt Sun 20-Jul-08 14:05:36

Good thank you pointydog Rough few weeks to begin with because our rented house was in a state when we moved in angry

But Edinburgh is sooooooooo utterly brilliant. Everything I remembered and more. I'm keeping my ears open for details of the next Edinburgh meet up grin

rookiemater Sun 20-Jul-08 15:27:35

Oh sorry completely forgot to ask my friend, I will email her. I'm just having a bit too many things on at the minute and forget things, sorry.

bearmama Mon 21-Jul-08 21:36:36

Babybear1 - just realised I hijacked your thread back there! Sorry blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now