Midlothian state secondary schools versus independent schools in Edinburgh

(7 Posts)
gardenhen Wed 08-Nov-17 20:40:38

Contemplating moving to Edinburgh area next summer and in dilemma about high schools. Would rather live a bit outside of Edinburgh- countryside and more house for our money but would like advice about state schools versus a kids commute into Edinburgh for independent schools. Help? Anybody experience with Beeslack High/Balerno High/Knox academy or any others? Thanks!

Noofly Thu 09-Nov-17 15:29:28

I live in a town that I absolutely would NOT recommend (Livingston), but if you are worried about children commuting to one of the Edinburgh day schools, I can possibly reassure you a bit. DC commute to GWC every day and it’s an absolutely fine commute. I’d say that especially if you are looking at the Balerno area, it’s not that long a commute at all for GWC. If looking at GH I’d probably look at different areas that are a bit easier for commuting.

GWC and Stewart Melville/Mary Erskine run bus services for commuting children and there’s loads on them- DC have their own little social life on the bus and while it is an early start/home late, they quickly get used to it.

PavlovaTescobar Sat 11-Nov-17 13:11:39

Hi everyone. Edinburgh is a great place to live and I would suggest that you seriously think about living in town. The traffic into Edinburgh - if you plan to work in town - can be pretty hair raising at rush hour, lots of congestion.
Midlothian wouldn't be my first choice for a state school. There are some very good state schools in Linlithgow in West Lothian and North Berwick in East Lothian. South Queensferry High is popular, it's geographically in West Lothian, but technically in Edinburgh City. If you are looking for pretty countryside, more likely to get it in the city itself rather than just outside the city limits, though East Lothian is nice.
Agree with the other poster about the private school bus runs.

ButteredScone Sat 11-Nov-17 18:34:26

All the independent schools send buses around the city/ring road.

It really depends what you are looking for. The state schools you list are good. Perhaps find where you want to live an then make your decisions from that.

Noofly Sat 11-Nov-17 21:06:55

I don’t think Heriot’s runs a school bus unless things have changed recently?

Lones80 Thu 16-Nov-17 12:46:20

I don't know about state schools, but I live in a village just outside Musselburgh and my kids walk to Loretto School every day. It's a fantastic school with a great community feel, and there is a bus service for those living further out.

Kinny1212 Fri 17-Nov-17 12:53:20

We live in the Balerno/Currie area and our wee one goes to Clifton Hall School which is a fantastic smaller private school located near Newbridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now