Edinburgh in the 1980s

(15 Posts)
CantStandMeow Mon 16-Oct-17 13:13:50

I posted this over in chat and someone suggested I try here.

Does anybody remember where the Legal Aid (part of DHSS) office was in Edinburgh in the early 1980s?

A family member used to work there and can't remember where it was. Any ideas would be appreciatedflowers

Auldspinster Mon 16-Oct-17 17:12:36

Torphichen Street?

cookiefiend Mon 16-Oct-17 17:15:14

Drumseugh gardens?

CantStandMeow Mon 16-Oct-17 17:18:09

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll pass them on flowerswine

Lovetunnocks Mon 16-Oct-17 19:03:02

Another uneducated guess at Torphican Streeet - but I also had a very vague memory of there being a big council office on Leith Walk (I think they did Housing Benefit amongst other things). Might be worth checking out. Have you tried calling the council to ask - they might be able to point you in the right direction - or at least to a starting point. Good luck.

Lovetunnocks Mon 16-Oct-17 19:08:28

Or (long shot) maybe at someone at the Central Library would know. 0131 242 8000. Open until eight tonight!

ratspeaker Mon 16-Oct-17 19:29:42

There's a lost Edinburgh facebook page could maybe ask on there, see if they have any pictures

CantStandMeow Mon 16-Oct-17 20:03:14

Thank you so much. My DM had a brain aneurysm which, amongst other things, has left her memory really 'patchy' for want of a better word. She knows she worked there and can remember walking through a park to work but that's all and she'd love to try and fill in the gaps.

I'm copying all your responses and sending them on. Thanks again flowers

greedygorb Tue 17-Oct-17 13:13:41

There was a DHSS in Tollcross as well. In a modern building. People at the beginning of the Alphabet A-K or someting like that- signed on there. The rest in Torphichen Street. I signed on for part of a summer when I was a student.

midsomermurderess Tue 17-Oct-17 20:57:52

Wasn’t there also one at the very end of Castle Terrace. Near Lady Lawson Street?

OOAOML Wed 18-Oct-17 14:20:02

The Tollcross DHSS was kind of where the old Goldbergs was wasn't it? And Torphichen Street was a big long white/grey building. Bottom of Leith Walk had a big job centre in the 90s, might have been there?

Auldspinster Wed 18-Oct-17 16:48:28

There's a newer job centre at high riggs but I used to sign on at the one at Torphichen Street and I think the legal aid office was across the road, near the samaritans.

There was one on castle terrace, I used to work next door and we'd get folk coming in demanding their giros.

Kittykatmacbill Wed 18-Oct-17 22:02:17

Definitely try lost Edinburgh m.facebook.com/lostedinburgh/?locale2=en_GB. Everything is known about...
Also if you are still in Edinburgh I think there is a memory centre down at ocean terminal.
Good luck!

ratspeaker Thu 19-Oct-17 07:48:21

Do you know where she was living at the time? We may be able to figure out the park

Auldspinster Thu 19-Oct-17 07:49:20

Could the park be Princes Street Gardens?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now