Where do families live for commute to Waverley station?

(7 Posts)
jsp56 Wed 14-Jun-17 13:45:51

Hi,

We are considering moving to Edinburgh for a job right next to Waverley station and I wondered if you could tell me how far a commute would typically be needed for us to get a nice non-city detached family house with a garden for about £600k?

Thanks!

3nationedinburgh Wed 14-Jun-17 17:32:40

The go to property websit for Edinburgh is www.espc.com and you can filter and search by price , amenities, area etc. School catchment area should also be a consideration or if you are thinking of private schools, easy travel distance by car or bus. There is an excellent bus service in the city as well as a limited tram service and local commuter train options which would link direct in to Waverley which is really the central point of the city centre and a transport hub.

Within half an hour bus journey you would have loads of options in the south, west or east of the city, some commuter train options out to
East Lothian ( Drem, Longniddry, North Berwick) would be longer but Joppa / portobello can be reached by train. Greenbank, Colinton, and the Grange areas are worth a look too.

jsp56 Wed 14-Jun-17 22:26:07

Thanks! I hadn't realised that was the website to look at. :-)

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 15-Jun-17 09:18:44

When you say non-city, do you mean outside of Edinburgh itself?

East Lothian and the Borders and Fife all have train lines into the city which makes for an easy (if expensive, but not London expensive) commute. It would be useful to ask if there is parking included with the job -- the city centre is all metered so you'd have to pay for parking which would really add up, if there's parking then you can literally go anywhere. If by non-city you mean 'doesn't feel like a city but can be in the city' then you will have good options in the areas 3 mentioned above.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 15-Jun-17 09:24:43

crikey, I need to move to the Borders Stow is a nice village on the Borders train line which takes you right into waverley.

This needs a bit of work North Queensferry is on the other side of the Forth Rd Bridge and is a very pretty village. Train times are 25 mins to Edinburgh.

another one in NQueens

Marmalady75 Sat 01-Jul-17 02:10:44

East - Haddington
West - Linlithgow

badguider Sat 01-Jul-17 19:44:17

You need to narrow it down a bit. Do you want really rural? Or a town? Do you want beach? Or hills?
Waverley is the centre of town so you can literally get anywhere from there. People come in from Glasgow regularly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now