ESMS, GWC,GH senior school comparsion

(9 Posts)
KK32 Wed 07-Jun-17 02:49:36

Hi, we are moving to Edinburgh..hoping my boy can apply to these school for S1. I think they are similiar, except ESMS is single sex until 6th form. Is this right? All three are academic schools with a good supporting environment. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

LoblollyBoy Wed 07-Jun-17 22:16:56

They are far apart! Where are you moving to?

LoblollyBoy Wed 07-Jun-17 22:20:44

Yes, ESMS provide a single sex education from S1 until sixth form. They sell a 'diamond' approach, with mixed primary schooling and then two senior schools which have shared classes in sixth form.

KK32 Thu 08-Jun-17 01:11:44

The 3 are far apart but we will have to follow the school where my boy can get a place. ESMS maybe best for him. He is s bit shy with girls. Sixth form is a good place for girls and boys mixing as they prepare for uni life. I guess children are different. The main thing is that all 3 are very good schools.

LoblollyBoy Thu 08-Jun-17 07:06:25

I see. They are good schools. I get the impression that ESMS don't like to say they are 'academic', while GH would be happy to, so check out their results if you need to. GW is big, but not compared to ESMS if you take it as a single entity - GW sell a 'single campus' approach!

KK32 Thu 08-Jun-17 09:57:22

Thanks for that...wonder if there are Stewart Melville S1 can give me feedback on the school...many thanks.

tribal Sun 11-Jun-17 21:34:56

I have experience of all 3 schools but in different capacities. I would say that academically there is not much to choose between them, the differences are in location, size, facilities, etc. If you visit all 3 you will get a better feel of them and know which one will suit your dc best.

While Stewarts is single sex from S1 to S5, they do have extra curricular activities with the girls at ME so they are not entirely separate. S6 is co-ed in preparation for uni life. Message me if you have any specific questions.

KK32 Mon 12-Jun-17 08:55:38

@tribal appreciate it.

schoolsearch79 Sun 19-Nov-17 11:40:09

HI, wondering if George herriot OR ESMS is good for my 2 daughters as they have been offered places in these schools.
my DD1 has been offered places in GH and ESMS for Pre school in August 2018 and my little has been offered place in Nursery in St George schools for girls for August 2018 and has been assured places in GH and ESMS for 2020 and 2019 Nursery intakes.
Could you please do advice which would be good for my daughters as I want them to be in same school But again depends on the advice of parents if their children's are in one of these schools and how they feel and experience of these schools academically & sports.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now