George Watson's buses from West Lothian

(14 Posts)
ANC1 Sat 01-Apr-17 09:17:56

Does anyone know where the bus pick up points are in West Lothian?

Starfish347 Mon 03-Apr-17 10:46:30

Here you go. I've included the start and end time, and start and finish prices as a guide.

(1) East Whitburn at 7am @ £4.20
(2) West Calder – Railway Station,
(3) Livingston – Livingston FC Car Park,
(4) Livingston – South Station,
(5) Mid Calder – Market Street,
(6) East Calder– Langton Road,
(7) Kirknewton – Railway/Balerno Road,
(8) Newlands – End of road,
(9) Balerno – Top end of Lanark Road west,
(10) Balerno – Bus Stop (Cherry Tree Lane) at 8am @£1.80

Thereafter straight to school. Billing is done on a termly basis and collected by direct debit.

ANC1 Mon 03-Apr-17 12:59:39

Thank you so much Starfish347!
Can junior school children use the bus?
We're considering the school and trying to make sure it is viable on the days I work.

Starfish347 Mon 03-Apr-17 13:25:33

I think so, I'm sure I see smaller kids on the buses. We don't use the service, but I knew it was on their website (but on the parent portal part rather than the general website).
How old are your dc?

ANC1 Mon 03-Apr-17 14:45:18

7 year old girl. P3 next academic year if space and assessment/visit pending.

ANC1 Mon 03-Apr-17 14:46:40

First time on mumsnet so not sure of all the lingo - DC? Darling/dopey/delightful/disastrous child?

Starfish347 Mon 03-Apr-17 15:49:49

ha, sorry! I think it originally means 'dearest' or darling' child, but in my mind, just another word for 'kid(s)'! I like your definitions though!!

My eldest daughter is in P3 now, and LOVES it at Watsons! She started in P1 and has been really happy, and we've been really impressed with the school. This is our first experience of GWC - we looked at Heriots and Mary Erskines also, but our gut feeling was to just go for GWC when it came to apply. My youngest starts P1 this academic year and can't wait.

One of the reasons I ask, is that if your daughter is interested in dance (musical theatre, highland, ballet), there are classes run by 'studio 21' in Myreside after school (across the road from the junior school). The dance staff collect the p1-3s from school, walk them over and you can pick them up at 4pm. It's cheaper than After School Club!! That might help you out one or two afternoons perhaps?

edinburghrookie Mon 03-Apr-17 18:52:01

One of DS's friends uses the bus (although it might be the one from the other direction as my geography is a bit shaky )and he's age 10 and in P6. Not sure about P3.

The only thing is that it does make it a long day if they are getting it both ways.

There are lots of afterschool activities once they get into P4 plus so that's also an option to consider if you're working near Edinburgh at all.

We too love Watsons - were a bit shaky about DS going to such a huge school but it doesn't feel that way at all.

ANC1 Sat 08-Apr-17 21:27:36

Starfish347 and edinburghrookie - thanks for the info. Hopefully visit after Easter hols and we'll take it from there. May be back for more practical advice!

Noofly Tue 11-Apr-17 21:11:51

DC are on the West Lothian bus. There's no age limit, although the youngest I know of is in P4. It can be a very long trip depending on where you are getting on/off- e.g. they quite often seem to get stuck at the rail crossing in Kirknewton!

cherish123 Mon 24-Apr-17 20:47:17

Does anyone know what time the Watsons' bus leaves Kirknewton in the morning or Balerno? Is the price in same from Kirknewton as it is from Whitburn i.e. £4.20?

Starfish347 Tue 25-Apr-17 09:40:20

Kirknewton pickup is 7.45am and costs £1.85

cherish123 Tue 25-Apr-17 18:06:07

Thank you.

Noofly Tue 25-Apr-17 18:14:51

There's no one getting on/off at Kirknewton just now so if you do book a spot make sure the school tells the driver for the first day! I would also have your child remind him on the journey home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now